What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....a right old mess!

20170527_192539-816x459.jpg

I brewed a Young's special . Couple of units lower than the original recipe though which suits me.

I have made some elderflower champagne. Fresh flowers harvested from the fields around my house. Now happily chugging away. I've never made it before so it's a bit of an experiment.

I'm also thinking of kegging it into a cornie rather than bottling it.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

247fdae4bb1b3e5bfa93a56fe455ea57.jpg

Brew day today, making a light pilsner with magnum and saaz. Hoping to be around 3.9/4%

Little NEIPA a sub 3% New England Session IPA (craft w**ker). Doing a little experiment based on this..Impact of low mash pH

Used 4% acidulated malt to drop the mash 0.4 points out of the normal 5.2-5.6 ph range (ended up at 4.9). Mashed at 70C for 45 minutes, hitting desire pre-boil gravity of 1.026. This should ferment down to 3% with normal mash conditions, we'll see if the drop in pH stops it short of that. The idea is to limit attenuation so I get low alcohol with the body of a stronger beer.

Just made up my second BIAB brew - a Kolsch.

100% German Pilsner malt with Hallertauer Mittelfrüh pellets and Safale K-97 dry yeast.

60 minute mash at 65 degrees with hop additions at 60 mins, 15 mins and flameout.

Hoping for a nice summer beer:thumb:

To be honest it was a couple of days ago but..,
Belgian Dubbel
45l batch
11kg Pilsner
1kg Munich
1kg wheat
2kg dark candy syrup (last ten mins of boil)
Mashed for 60min @65c
60min boil
75g goldings
25g magnum
@60

25g goldings @20
OG 1071 (efficiency pretty low. Gonna have to figure out why)
T58 yeast
Plus 5l with some harvested chimay yeast

Damn that t58 yeast is stinky!

Bit of a user-upper saison. Pale Malt, Vienna and Wheat bags I had left over. Magnum for bittering, Saaz aroma and flavour and Mangrove Jack's French Saison.

Bit of a user-upper saison. Pale Malt, Vienna and Wheat bags I had left over. Magnum for bittering, Saaz aroma and flavour and Mangrove Jack's French Saison.

Are you thinking of putting this in HBF comp at the end of the month?
Great feed back off the judges and its a bit of fun:thumb:

Brewed my first lager a couple of days ago, pilsner, Vienna and caragold with use up crystal and mount hood hops and MJ bohmien lager yeast.

Bugger all :-( put my back out so I can't lift anything heavier that a pint glass. Got the grain for a clone of Zeitgeist black lager that'll have to wait till I'm fighting fit again.

My experimental version of a Graham Wheeler ( third edition ) version of a clone of Fullers London Pride. Didn't have all the right hops, so had to improvise a bit. Thought I'd call it Marlon's Pride......but only if it comes out all right...! :whistle:

Part mash of the Greg Hughes cali common. Just subbed out some Base malt for a coopers amber extract. In a bid to increase my efficiency on my last brew iirc of about 64% I added half a kilo more malt and instead of dunking I sparged over one of the shelves out of the oven! Resulting og at 23 l was 1056 which through the calculator gives 70.7% bhe.
I used my home made wort chiller for the first time which dropped the temp to pitching temp in under twenty minutes,I rested the flame out hops at around 80°c to steep for 15 minutes. Also used my home made hop spider which worked great! My mash and sparge water also worked out better.
I think this was my best brew day so far in terms of timing and not messing anything up.

Cheers

Clint

Got a 6 litre p/m brew on the go now.
Something along the lines of a Ghost ship type brew.
A mix of pale and lager malt,Crystal,carmalt,Wheat malt and malted rye with some Liquid malt extract .Hops are Chinook 60 min,Chinook 10 min and Amarillo and Citra 80c stand.Will dry hop with some more Citra.

Blimey, Rye malt is a b####r to grind down!

A mix of pale and lager malt,Crystal,carmalt,Wheat malt and malted rye with some Liquid malt extract .Hops are Chinook 60 min,Chinook 10 min and Amarillo and Citra 80c stand.Will dry hop with some more Citra.

Sounds good, I love Ghost Ship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All done and in the FV,yeast rehydrated and added. Lovely smell whilst boiling,Mmmmm:lol:. Came out spot on the expected OG of 1.042 as well:thumb:

Latest posts

Back