what do you do with your brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
19l batches start in kegs, about half or more end up in growlers/bottles for my consumer group of 8-10. I request bottle returns hopefully rinsed out. Since there‘s so many bottles I made a bottle washer which took a pain point to not a problem!

The bags will stand up on their own as they open up at the bottom as filled and are quite sturdy.You can use a box or a cool box if you need to chill them or even sit in a plastic box and put freezer blocks around them to cool

For beer, the industry uses double skinned plastic bags - so I do too. The inner layer is permeable to CO2 produced by the beer (but impervious to liquid) the outer layer is completely impermeable. So, if the bag balloons a bit, you get CO2 collecting in the gap between inner and outer. If people are wanting to try it, filling the bags requires some technique and you're best getting a tool to press the tap fully home. These bags *can* be re-sterilised and refilled but they're not intended for that purpose and I don't risk it. You do end up binning the plastic so it's not really very green.

Useful video here:

I use one of these tools: Bag in Box Filling Tool | Support Frame for Bag-in-Boxes

What language is he speaking?

The bags will stand up on their own as they open up at the bottom as filled and are quite sturdy.You can use a box or a cool box if you need to chill them or even sit in a plastic box and put freezer blocks around them to cool
Thanks for that... I just bought 3 to try out like the idea of being reusable

Thanks for that... I just bought 3 to try out like the idea of being reusable
This is a pic of the bags stood on their own as you can see quite sturdy and with the tap and pipework attached.
As you can see the bags collapse so no air gets in to extend the preservation of the beer
20230411_132520.jpg

I thought we'd all be **** cans so it's probably just me.

A 19L Keg will last me about 2-3 weeks. Irritable Bowl helps keep the weight off. Monday to Wednesday no more than 3 pints per night (unless MCFC are on TV), Thursday and Sunday 'about 4', Friday and Saturday night it's no limits either at home or out so long as I can get up early doors with the kids and do all the things we do together (sports, play, films etc).

I've known for a long time that I need to reduce my consumption - lockdowns, WFH (every night is Thursday night) and returning to brewing really hasn't helped!

Next door calls me the beer fairy because I'm always dropping beer round for them to try. Honestly because I want a second opinion. Also after some years of brewing I'm no longer tempted to try dumb stuff like loading up a brew with crystal malt or adding licorice

Me too. Got 4 cornies now and 3 extra fridges, besides the two we already have 😅 😂

There's never enough space!

Cornies and fridges breed like crazy at the Benfleet Brewery 🙄
I now have 8 x Cornies and, in addition to an under counter fridge and freezer in the kitchen, below is my latest outdoor white appliance line up.

First fridge wrapped in wood effect houses 4 x Cornies for the beer taps
Second one is an overflow household fridge
Behind the tumble dryer is an overflow household freezer
Next are my two brew fridges, one on top of the other
Then you can just make out beyond those my black fridge that holds 2 x full Cornies which are conditioning.

6725AEE5-3C06-4265-95D9-6C3948C67EC2.jpeg

I brew 40 pint batches, but I keg half into 5l kegs, and bottle the other half. The kegs tend to go fairly quick, but I store the bottles away.
Some beer styles need to be finished up quicker, but for the ones that can condition for a long time, I drink an occasional bottle, which means I normally have a fair variation of different beers available.
I have bottles a year old that still taste great.
And I brew a new batch when I have enough empties.

This is a pic of the bags stood on their own as you can see quite sturdy and with the tap and pipework attached.
As you can see the bags collapse so no air gets in to extend the preservation of the beer
View attachment 84268
Great tip with the bags.. They are a quality item just road testing with some MJ Irish Stout..Sláinte

Attachments

• IMG_20230428_183646.jpg
    IMG_20230428_183646.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
I am glad you are pleased with them Martin and Pete. I have used some of them over 5 times and see at least the same amount again as long as you smooth out the creases as you clean and collapse them.
Dearer to start with but cheaper in the long run than the thin poly bags athumb..

I am glad you are pleased with them Martin and Pete. I have used some of them over 5 times and see at least the same amount again as long as you smooth out the creases as you clean and collapse them.
Dearer to start with but cheaper in the long run than the thin poly bags athumb..
They do seem nice and firm... that's why I asked you about a box initially I was expecting them to have no structure...
Thanks again and have a good long weekend 👍

Latest posts

Back