What do you use as a mash tun?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBrewTime

Reaction score
So I was looking to move on from kit brewing to AG and didn't realise I would now need a mash tun as well as a big stock pot to boil in :(

What does everyone use for mashing in? I've seen those large cooler boxes with a tap on that I guess are custom made or done yourself if you trust your DIY skills (I have none)

Does anyone have a definitive 'must-have' list of things I would need to start AG brewing? I have kit brewing stuff like 2 FVs and basic spoon etc already

I am to DIY what Dolly Parton is to flat chested women so believe me it ain't difficult; and it saves a lot of money.

In order of photograph they are:

1. Mash Tun. (32litre toolbox + copper piping + fittings + tap)

2. Boiler. (Wilco FV + Tesco kettle element)

3. Cooler. (Length of tubing very badly coiled)

4. Temperature controller. (Ink bird STC 1000)

5. Brew Fridge (2nd hand fridge + 400W heater) This is not really necessary but I got permission from SWMBO to buy one!

Making stuff myself is a real pleasure and keeps SWMBO off my back when I point out the cost of buying something ready-made!

For example, my next project is a magnetic stirrer for my yeast. Total cost will be +/- £14 whereas they cost from £60 to over £450 to buy.

Enjoy.

Mash Tun.jpg

Boiler.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

Nice setup Dutto

See I would fall at the first hurdle or crimping the ends of the copper pipes and knowing what sort of fittings to buy! :( I would be tempted to buy a custom kit like this but then you end up paying over the odds for someone else's craftsmanship

Nice setup Dutto

See I would fall at the first hurdle or crimping the ends of the copper pipes and knowing what sort of fittings to buy! :( I would be tempted to buy a custom kit like this but then you end up paying over the odds for someone else's craftsmanship

Couldn't be easier! All fittings and ends crimped with a vice and then (where necessary) opened out with a knife to give a gap big enough to clean yet narrow enough to stop grains of barley getting through.

None of the fittings are actually soldered 'cos you need to dismantle it to clean it after use.

I can't stress just how easy it is! It's not as if you have to make it to precise measurements so I use the "Near enough is good enough!" method. :thumb:

You can mash in your pot with BIAB AG and not use a mash tun

Listen to MyQul. Start there. As you get better, you can add bits. I started like that. Then I added a false bottom to my pot and bought another to boil in. Then I added a pump a few brews later and so on. Don't over complicate it at first. Start easy. That way it is easy to pin point what is causing you issues. As you move on, you'll know what you'll need to add to up your game.

A mash tun need not be complicated or particularly expensive.

I use a converted 25 litre F/V and the only DIY skill you need is to drill one hole for the tap.

Here it is in action with an optional temperature guage and rotating sparge arm.

DSCF4765.jpg

For a basic build all you need is a F/V, tap, filter and some insulation.

F/V - any standard 25 litre one should do. You can get enough grain in one of these to do a 7% 25 litre brew.

Tap - I use a standard water butt tap as low down as you can get it (remember you need to be able to get the back nut on):

Filter - A bazooka filter works a treat ( I use the 6 inch version) but it will need an adapter to fit it on the back of the tap.

DSCF6229.jpg

Link to the adapter.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111209544...49&var=410234875837&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

For insulation I use the stuff that goes behind radiators (the thicker one not the thin one) and just wrap it round on brew day. (removable aids cleaning).

I have used this style of mash tun for over 40 brews with very good results.

Might as well mention the ACE boiler, there are a few here mashing and boiling all-in-one-style in these things, with or without bag:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54132

@ £100 it's a bit more expensive than separate DIY components but it really is an easy way to make the jump to AG. [Does have some minor drawbacks but read the thread, it's full of detail including photgraphic guides and mods.] Only additional expenses for me were a thermometer and copper coil cooler. [Homemade, dutto's is a rollls royce compared to mine, but they all work]

Incidentally, I'm not understanding the copper piping in dutto's tun, what does that do?

Back