What spirits do you enjoy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baz Chaz said:
graysalchemy said:
Islay malts preferably lagvulen .......

Yeah me too :whistle:

nat7a.jpg

Have you not posted that photo before? I'm extremely jealous.

I am almost exclusively a malt whisky man when it comes to spirits. I do like the Islay malts but I usually have a stock of Glengoyne and Highland Park at all times.

However if it isn't malt whisky then I don't often say no to a Bombay Saphire and tonic.

Dunfie said:
Have you not posted that photo before? I'm extremely jealous.

Yup, the stock is about the same level as well, always keep it topped up, don't like to run the risk of running out you know :D

Gin here, in a tall glass with lime and lemonade, mmmm

Tried JD the other week and couldn't even remember leaving the pub :shock:

I like G&T but has to be a nice gin and only slim line tonic with a twist of lemon or Rum and coke. Id love to appreciate scotch but I dont think my pallet is that mature yet.

apart from that i steer clear of spirits, too many horrible teenage memories. A whiff of JD or southern comfort and i feel sick.

It used to be Pernod & Black, Malibu & Milk, or Archers & Lemonade. Now it's Jack Daniels over Ice. (Half fill a Pint glass with Ice, Pour Jack Daniels into a shot glass then rest shot glass on the ice in the pint glass)

Islands and Highlands for me, particularly the Islay malts can't get enough of them. Fave has to be a Port Elen 1980, although the Caol Isla '84 comes very close, as does the Bruichladich '90.

Oddly enough apart from a Port Elen (which will only set me back £160) the only distillery that is missing from my collection is a lagavuluin . . . Must rectify that and soon :hmm:

Islay malts again here! seems to be a trend! Also I'm a sucker for a G n T! Hendricks gin with ice and a couple of slices of cucumber! OMG totally amazing!

:D :D

16 yr Lagavulin, 10 yr glenmorangie, doublewood balvenie and for a nice cheap smoky tipple i suggest you try black grouse tastes better than some single malts i've tried.. has anyone tried ginger tam a ginger and whisky liquer but it comes in at 48.5% vol and burns like a bush fire but i have only ever seen it on sale at the whisky shop near Edinburgh castle.
Not strictly a spirit but have recently got a taste for amaretto too mixed with cranberry

Oh and I did try an evening on Pernod & Malibu :whistle: once, and only the ONCE. I have never been so ill in all my life :sick: and apparently suffered partial memory loss aswell :wha: . But did discover Malibu appears to be the only thing to not turn Pernod cloudy :hmm:

tazuk said:
sambuca / Absinthe / Galliano mmmmmmmmmmmm lol not all in same glass :thumb: :drunk:
nothing too strong then ? only the stuff the really f%&ks u up (i like em too ) :roll: :)

To quote Adrian Mole - "If whisky came in a medicine bottle, you would pour it down the sink!"

I have had people make me try whisky, saying, "Oh you've not had a good single malt" and all that - but it still tasted like yuk. :sick:

Stephen

snail59 said:
Oh and I did try an evening on Pernod & Malibu :whistle: once, and only the ONCE.
I don't like posh stuff like Pernod and Ricard, if I drink pastis it's the supermarché's cheapest Marseilles gut rot.

I got wrecked once on absinthe, on holiday on Lanzarote, think I lost about 3 days on that one, it just keeps coming back and hitting you over and over again.

Can't go near Pernot anymore, even the smell makes me :sick:

I had a bad night as a youngster with pernod and black, :drink: :sick: I've never been so ill, and I couldn't get rid of the taste for days :nono:

I love Single Malts - Highland Park 12yr old is current fave.
There's a pub in Southwark, called The Brittania, with about 150 whiskys! it's where I first tried Glengoyne, and now I have that when I'm there, and in the mood.

I've also made my own Limoncello (following a recipe on here, just vodka with lemons, none of the 'D' word involved), and I love that cold, over ice, as an aperitife, or with pudding.

Also love G&T when in the mood, but you have to have good tonic water - surprisingly it makes a helluva difference.

andyh said:
Can't go near Pernot anymore, even the smell makes me :sick:

I had a bad night as a youngster with pernod and black, :drink: :sick: I've never been so ill, and I couldn't get rid of the taste for days :nono:

Which reminds me:

Guy walks into a bar and orders 6 Pernod and blacks.

Bartender asks if he's celebrating.

Yes, he says, I've just had my first BJ.

Well, says the barman, if you finish those, I'll buy you another.

No point, says the guy, if 6 don't take the taste away, another isn't going to make any difference.

Nothing as its ment to be, Milk in Baileys, Sloe's in Gin and I'm going to try Blackberry in Brandy this year as well.

Won a bottle of morgans spiced before Xmas and the the Mrs won a bottle of morgans spiced gold. Both will go down well with coke.
Still have some Bacardi to get through but a g & t with lime wedge is nice in the summer
Also have some Irish whiskies, Middleton rare for special occasions. Due to the kids don't get much time to indulge.

Back