What strength will this be ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popspicker

Reaction score
Could any of you boys in the know work out what strength this stout will be please ?

1 can of Cooper's Original Series Stout
1KG Dark DME
250g Crystal Malt
250g Roasted Barley
150g Chocolate malt
1oz US Goldings hops (15min boil) for flavour
Safale US05 Yeast.

23L length of brew

I did the Coopers original at 20l, 1.5kg of dme, and 10ish of muscovado sugar, and came out at 6.8% abv

Just typed this into BrewPal for you. It suggests OG of 1.042, FG of 1.010 giving you 4.3%

Using the same software for lovelldr's method comes out at 7%.

Thanks a lot Beereagle and Lovelldr...is that about what you'd aim for with a stout ?

Depends. Stouts come in different styles - a dry stout probably should be between 4 and 6%, whereas a Russian Imperial Stout could be between 8-12%

It's an American thang but quite useful - look up BJCP styles on the interweb - http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/ - and it will give their opinions on the parameters for loads of different styles of beers.

Hellfire! 8-12% I'd be squiffy after two sips !
Thanks for that B.E, :clap: I'm quite happy with my 4.3, tasted quite good when I did the FG and you're right it did end up at 1010
It had the lovely roast flavour that I was hoping for, can't wait to show this one off when it matures.

Latest posts

Back