What to do with cherries.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got about a kilo of black cherries for £1 at Morrisons today. I was just going to stone them and put them through a sieve into a 1 gallon Wurzel but then thought it would be worth asking here to see what else I should do, Should I boil them or put them with pectolase and potassium sorbate or meta bi-sulphate?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Diesel1.

EDIT: Trypo!

A kilo isn't really enough to do much with, although that's a great price.

I agree with your “add to a Wurzel” idea but think you should probably de-stone and then cover them with a couple of pints of boiling water in a large jug / some sort of food storage tub / stainless saucepan, add pectolase when cooled, possibly a crushed campden tablet, leave that covered for 2 days and then strain into your Wurzel.

You didn't really mean sorbate, did you? :nono: That goes in at the end.

Moley said:
A kilo isn't really enough to do much with, although that's a great price.

I agree with your “add to a Wurzel” idea but think you should probably de-stone and then cover them with a couple of pints of boiling water in a large jug / some sort of food storage tub / stainless saucepan, add pectolase when cooled, possibly a crushed campden tablet, leave that covered for 2 days and then strain into your Wurzel.

You didn't really mean sorbate, did you? :nono: That goes in at the end.

Thanks for the reply Moley. I will de-stone and and add boiling water with a campden tablet and pectolase (how much?) when cooled.

I presume they will need a good mashing/blending before I add the water.

As for the sorbate/sulphate question, I was just throwing a few things up in the air to see what came back! (Or I couldn't actually remember which is which) :?

TTFN,

Diesel1.

1 tsp pectolase, and I would lay into them with a spud masher while it's still hot, then stir a couple of times a day.

I've a youngs black cherry kit on the go. Last time I made one it tasted ace.
Hopefully yours would be even better :thumb:

Amadeus said:
I've a youngs black cherry kit on the go. Last time I made one it tasted ace.
Hopefully yours would be even better :thumb:

I hope so, especially since I got home from work and found the cherries had vanished. The wife had put them in ice cube trays in the freezer for the 1 year old son! Doh! Hopefully the pectolase will start working again when they have reached room temperature.

Diesel1.

Hi all, I added half a kilo of strawberries (£1.30 @ Morrisons) to the mush, blended by the way, and have been stirring four times a day. I will strain later today and get a gallon underway.

The smell is just like purple chewit sweets. If this works I will be in heaven!

Does anyone have a guess at how much sugar might be needed to make a 1080 SG?

Diesel1.

Well you're going to get a maximum of 150g of sugar out of your fruit, so what else are you adding, are you still using any juices?

Hi Moley,

Yes I'm going to add two of either red or white grape unless someone can think of anything different. I will probably go with the white grape, which would give 302g sugar giving 452g of fruit sugar. I will definitely need to add some sugar, how does 600g in boiled syrup sound?

Diesel1.

Latest posts

Back