What to make for my next AG???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo100

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently got back into AG brewing after a 2 year break. To celebrate, I have bought myself a couple of Corny Kegs, which I love!

Anyway, I have made a clone of Hopback Brewery Summer Elder (Summer Lightning with elder flower) and my take on the Shepard Neame Spitfire, which has got some added black malt to give it a deeper, smokier taste.

The Spitfire is about to go into the Corny, but the Summer Elder is almost finished already (I got excited and drank it all). So, I want to do another brew before long... but lack inspiration.

I was wondering if any of you could recommend a recipe to try, as I am really not sure what to make. I really enjoy hoppy American style beers (although have only tried a couple), but have never made one. I toyed with making the Brewdog Punk IPA, but would need to take out a second mortgage to buy all the hops :lol:

Can anyone think of anything? (ideally, with only a couple of hop types, so I don't have to buy a load of different ingredients).

Thanks all.

I really enjoy a good DMASH. (double malt and single hop) so something like;

Pale malt 2750g
Crystal malt 250g

Then pick one of the American hops (from a site with forum member discount!)

Amarillo 25g@60
Amarillo 15@15
Amarillo 15@5
Amarillo 35@ flameout
Amarillo dryhop with rest of bag after primary (100g bag)

So that's my dmash recipe for a 10l brew and it's >6%. Do a couple of these with different American hops to see what you like. :) That'll cost less than a tenner for 20ish pints.

Another suggestion is if you're still finding what hops you like and don't want to pay for the US stuff try the New Zealand hops. Some are very similar to the US stuff and a lot cheaper.

Pale malt 2750g
Crystal malt 250g

Amarillo 25g@60
Amarillo 15@15
Amarillo 15@5
Amarillo 35@ flameout
Amarillo dryhop with rest of bag after primary

So that's my dmash recipe for a 10l brew and it's >6%. Do a couple of these with different American hops to see what you like. :) That'll cost less than a tenner for 20ish pints.

I think I'll be doing something similar next, probably with either Citra or Mosaic hops.

Had a beer the other day in a pub that I think was stuffed with Mosaic, delicious!

I think I'll be doing something similar next, probably with either Citra or Mosaic hops.

Had a beer the other day in a pub that I think was stuffed with Mosaic, delicious!

Two of my favourite hops those. Got a brew of each in the fermenters at the minute. Crack on!

Dave

Pale malt 2750g
Crystal malt 250g

Amarillo 25g@60
Amarillo 15@15
Amarillo 15@5
Amarillo 35@ flameout
Amarillo dryhop with rest of bag after primary (100g bag)

Thanks

I have never thought of doing a DMASH - >6% :thumb:

So, I presume from this, that you dry hop only 10g?

I would aim to make a Corny full, so double up this recipe.

I do like DMASH's, here's mine which was a bit of a shot in the dark recipe-wise but turned out to be my best AG to date:

12L brew, OG 1046 - scale up if you want to brew more

Grain Bill
----------------
2.300 kg Maris Otter Malt (92%)
0.200 kg Crystal 120 (8%)

Hop Bill
----------------
28.0 g Cascade Leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2.3 g/L)
21.0 g Cascade Leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.8 g/L)
16.0 g Cascade Leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.3 g/L)
16.0 g Cascade Leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.3 g/L)

What yeast would you recommend for an american DMASH?

Depends on budget mate, US-05 is fine to be honest. Plus if you've not got a LHBS close (like me) I tend to harvest it for the next brew :) If you're feeling flush try a wyeast. Brewdog released their recipe book recently and they use 1056 a lot but I'm told that it's really similar to us-05 so maybe just stick to that!

Thanks

I have never thought of doing a DMASH - >6% :thumb:

So, I presume from this, that you dry hop only 10g?

I would aim to make a Corny full, so double up this recipe.

Depends, I only usually dry hop with 10% if I'm playing with a new hop. Tend to find if I over dryhop with a new hop I don't get a feel for what the hop can do. Hope that makes sense, hehe.

Mosaic, Chinook and Simcoe is a great combo which I've made several times now. Had several mates around and they ditched their brew dog and innis and gun in favour of the homebrew.

My 2nd 10 litre ag batch was based on a galaxy far far away on the brewers friend(?) site.

2.25 kg German - Vienna
0.15 kg American - Caramel / Crystal 60L

4 g Galaxy 60 min
12 g Galaxy 10 min
12 g Galaxy 5 min
12 g Galaxy Whirlpool at 99 °C 10 min

The early samples seem very good but I'm biased :-)

The Clibit Half Hearted recipe in the completed recipe forum is really good and uses just one hop Centennial. It's a version of a very popular American pale ale called Bells Two Hearted.

@Toredan

I have decided that I will make a 27 ltr batch, so have grossed up the ingredients appropriately. This is the output from Brewmate. Does it look correct to you?

I only have Crystal Malt 100, which is fairly dark. Should I swap some of this for Marris Otter, or will it be fine as it is?

DMASH (American IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.066 (°P): 16.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 6.48 %
Colour (SRM): 14.7 (EBC): 29.0
Bitterness (IBU): 50.1 (Average)

91.67% Maris Otter Malt
8.33% Crystal 90

2.5 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Aroma)
1.5 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Aroma)
3.5 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
1 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

0.5 g/L Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Looks good! I do like a darker malty ipa/apa myself so I'd be quite happy drinking that. As far as future brews following this recipe go sticking with the same grain list and yeast is important, that way when you're comparing taste you're only comparing the impact of different hops :)

I made 25 ltrs of @Toredan 's recipe today. I was aiming for 27 ltrs but my copper filter got stuck at the end and I couldn't get the last few pints out :-(

It smells amazing! I have never smelt such a hoppy homebrew!

I can't wait to try it!

I was going to dry-hop strength into the corny keg with the hops in a sterile bag on the end of some string.

Do you think it is OK to open up the corny after a week or so, to remove the hop bag, or is this a big no-no?

I kegged my DMASH today.

It is all a bit rushed (in time for a party tomorrow), with only 11 days in the FV and so far, only 3 hours in the corny with some forced carbonation.

Anyway, I tried some tonight and it is mindblowingly good!!!

Great hop flavour on top of a nice amber almost syrupy textured beer.

I think it probably ended up at 6.3%, so I doubt anyone will remember how good it tastes by the end of the night!!!!

Latest posts

Back