What to put on the Xmas list...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceejay

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm at a point where I'm fairly happy with my brewing. The beer is good and I've got a decent grasp of the processes. It's just all a bit "manual" and feels a bit amateurish. Does that make sense?

I'm brewing AG in a plastic 2 vessel system - coolbox MLT with a copper manifold and a 30L plastic bucket boiler with 3kw element & copper tube hop stopper/ball valve. I ferment in a plastic wine fermenter, in a temp controlled fridge. I batch prime and bottle all of my beer. Much of my process is manual, so I jug/pour between vessels on brewday and syphon on the cold side.

Space wise, my stuff is stored in my fairly small cellar (with only 5ft headroom) and I brew in my kitchen. I have no power or access to water outside. This is important as my stuff has to be portable/modular, my kitchen being on the 1st floor (i.e it's an upside down house).

Given the above information, I'm trying to think of brewing stuff I'd like to make parts of my process from grain to glass easier, safer and more efficient. Any ideas?

Shiny?
Keg system (bearing in mind I don't have room for another fridge/freezer)?
Pumps etc?
Hopback/Whirlpool type effort?

shiny takes up space to store and use, also need to think about security if leaving in sheds etc.
but it will make you feel wonderful when brewing with it.... :D

If your happy with your system as is and its performing the way you want it to why change a winning formula >
How about a small solar pump or two to assist in moving the wort around instead of jugs/buckets

we all brew differently depending on the space/time place we do it, you have obviously got your method sorted for your situation...stick with it...
spend your monies on good grains / hops and yeasts

Thanks PD - you know, that's probably the reason I asked the question. I can't actually think of anything I need per se!

Solar pumps are a good idea though - i could definitely do with not having to jug/pour and it should help with minimising HSA.

i only upgraded my plastic vessels when i was given some money to build my brew shed and acquire shiny! The increase in volume was great but i would still be happy with my plastic set up (it brewed great beer!) :drink:

I kit brew and likewise am pretty happy with my setup and what i'm producing. A couple of small (5 or 10 litre) FVs woukd come in handy but other than that I going to try to stock up on kits and consumables like steraliser. Luckily I have a good LHBS with an online shop, only across town for a lot of the family. I just email them a wish list with links to the LHBS online shop.

Yeast is your most important ingredient. Bearing that in mind... a conical flask and stir plate?

a 5l jug and a good thermometer both made the brewday go easier this end, and there is a shelf full of brewbooks id be happy to get as gifts..

Latest posts

Back