Wherry.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelaner

Reaction score
Hello all

New brewer here having just started a wherry in a tub from Wilko
First lesson learnt is cut the hole for the bung and airlock beforehand.

More questions will undoubtedly follow.

Atb Mick

So a bit of advice needed here chaps if possible!

I have transferred my brew into a sterilised keg and not added any sugar.
should I have? or should I wait until I bottle it?

So a bit of advice needed here chaps if possible!

I have transferred my brew into a sterilised keg and not added any sugar.
should I have? or should I wait until I bottle it?

Not an expert myself, but my understanding is people either use a keg or bottles. Not both. How long ago now did you put it in the keg? Hopefully one of the more seasoned members will be able to offer help

Not an expert myself, but my understanding is people either use a keg or bottles. Not both. How long ago now did you put it in the keg? Hopefully one of the more seasoned members will be able to offer help

thanks Callum

my intention was to condition in the keg for 3 weeks then sup some but bottle the remainder.

I'm pretty sure this can be done but need confirmation.

Can't see why you can't do what you're planning, although there are a couple of issues to consider:

- Understand that you haven't primed the keg, so in order to get the beer out you'll need to loosen the cap otherwise it won't come out the tap. Problem with that is the risk of air getting in which can spoil the brew.
- Without priming the beer won't be giving off much CO2 which being heavier than air protects it to a certain extent from contamination.
- Transferring from one vessel to another always adds the risk of infection and exposure to the air so would recommend this is kept to a minimum.

For future brews you might decide to split the brew and put some in a keg and bottle the rest. Both lots would benefit from a little priming as protection and to give it a little fizz.

Let us know how you get on!

I suggest if you intend to drink alot before bottling prime with sugar (or whatever you want to prime it with) now and prime it again before bottling or if you intend to bottle nearly all of it and just want a taste before just prime it immediately before bottling.

If you batch prime the wherry in the PB (stir the sugar gently to desolve evenly ) and then add it straight to the bottles (via a syphon) you can keep some in the PB and have bottles aswell.

:hat:

Well thanks for all the replies chaps :)

I have sampled a couple of pints just now and it's fantastic, so it probably won't be hanging around for long enough to bottle.
It has plenty of pressure in the keg and forms a huge head that needs to settle for a while between pouring a pint.

I'm now hooked and I am going to get another one brewing asap :D

Back