Whirlpool vs Dry hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having been making a lot of pa's and ipa's recently I've been looking at hop additions by studying recipes in good books, particularly Mikkellers book, and whatever I can find online that seems like it's from a good source ie brewery websites etc.
I've noticed that a lot of ipas and dipas don't have a dry hop addition, is this because it's been replaced by a whirlpool or a steep addition?
Very few recipes have both a dry hop and a whirlpool addition.

I've using Thornbridge recipes as inspiration and they tend to use a 30 minutes steep after boiling and before chilling and no dry hopping. Certainly makes racking easier with no dry or secondary hops to deal with.

By Whirlpool I assume you mean the flame out hops (added about 80ºc)

I thought the whirlpool concept was to aid the debris forming a cone and making it easier to transfer wort without the gunk.. although I wonder if the whirlpool helps circulate the hops too..

IN general though I think you're probably right.. the solvenian IPA I made I dry hopped last night but I put a large flame out addition in and it was hoppy already.. I probably didn't need to do it

I've using Thornbridge recipes as inspiration and they tend to use a 30 minutes steep after boiling and before chilling and no dry hopping. Certainly makes racking easier with no dry or secondary hops to deal with.

That's interesting. I didn't think about the hassle of racking after dry hopping!

By Whirlpool I assume you mean the flame out hops (added about 80ºc)

I thought the whirlpool concept was to aid the debris forming a cone and making it easier to transfer wort without the gunk.. although I wonder if the whirlpool helps circulate the hops too..

IN general though I think you're probably right.. the solvenian IPA I made I dry hopped last night but I put a large flame out addition in and it was hoppy already.. I probably didn't need to do it

Yes I do mean the 80* addition, I call it whirlpool as that how most people seem to know it. I don't actual whirlpool to isolate the trub.

I was in the same position with my recent IPA, it's loaded with hops already, I don't think it needs a dry hop.

Yes I do mean the 80* addition, I call it whirlpool as that how most people seem to know it. I don't actual whirlpool to isolate the trub.

I was in the same position with my recent IPA, it's loaded with hops already, I don't think it needs a dry hop.

Well on this occasion I have gone for the dry hop but I think in future going forward I think I will large flame out / whirlpool at 80 and just leave it for 20- 30 mins.

Is your method the same as mine? have my cooler in.. turn it on at flame out, within a few mins its at 80. stop cooler dump hops in wait 20 mins.. fire cooler back up..

It is a decent debate actually will be interesting to see what others think

Well on this occasion I have gone for the dry hop but I think in future going forward I think I will large flame out / whirlpool at 80 and just leave it for 20- 30 mins.

Is your method the same as mine? have my cooler in.. turn it on at flame out, within a few mins its at 80. stop cooler dump hops in wait 20 mins.. fire cooler back up..

It is a decent debate actually will be interesting to see what others think

Yep, pretty much the same. I let it cool naturally to 80, then add the hops and hold there on the thermostat for 30 mins. Although there was a post recently that mentioned 60* might be a better temp...

The only downside I can see with this technique is you may be setting yourself up for chill haze (does my head in!) by not rapidly cooling to pitching temps

The only downside I can see with this technique is you may be setting yourself up for chill haze (does my head in!) by not rapidly cooling to pitching temps

True but dry hop can cause haze too, and when I did a 20 min steep I found the beer cleared pretty good anyway.. and over the space of time clears really well..

I didn't know dry hopping gave haze, I'll just pass it off as hop haze in future :-D

Latest posts

Back