Who uses the fine mesh plate in Brewzilla?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliH

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I’ve just got a Brewzilla 3.1.1 off of this forum but it didn’t have the fine mesh filter for the bottom of the malt pipe.
I’ve read that it’s not really needed, but was wondering who uses it and what the benefits are?

Cheers

Nope , tried but it resulted in stuck Mashs because grain got between the two plates and blocked the holes.

It's not needed in my opinion

Congratulations on the 3.1.1 love mine. After you get used to it consider deleting the central overflow pipe. Makes stirring a lot easier.

Nope , tried but it resulted in stuck Mashs because grain got between the two plates and blocked the holes.

It's not needed in my opinion

Congratulations on the 3.1.1 love mine. After you get used to it consider deleting the central overflow pipe. Makes stirring a lot easier.
Great, that’s what I had read. I’m looking forward to trying it out, I’m going from a small stove top BIAB so should be a good upgrade.

Problem is I’ve got fine crushed grain to use up so might use my BIAB bag in the Brewzilla?

Also I got a big hop spider with it, do you use one?

I didn't change my default crush from TMM so my first few brews were fine and although they produced good beer a normal crush is definitely preferred.

I don't use the hop spider, it just doesn't look like it's boiling enough inside it. So if it's a light hopping during the boil I throw them in. If it's a very large addition (and I remember) I use hop sock.

My hop spider (that came with it) got thrown in the bin on my last brew. The mesh just completely blocked up and there was no mixing. I've only used it 4/5 time in the year I've had it and I reckon you don't need it (I was doing a Kolsch and thought it would be a good idea to use it). If the pump blocks then a quick blow into the recirc arm clears it. Just be sure to have the valve open and the pump turned off.
@Rewilts Where did you get the SS bolt for the overflow pipe?

Knew someone would ask 😂

Screenshot_2023-08-27-20-37-06-857_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Lovely. I've been think of removing the overflow for a while now.
The only issue I seen to have with the fine mesh plate is it lifts during the boil sometimes.

Sorry. I'm half asleep here 😂 That plate didn't come with mine. I rang up BKT to ask about it (I had seen it in all the videos I watched before buying) and they said Kegland discontinued it because it's useless.

Sorry. I'm half asleep here 😂 That plate didn't come with mine. I rang up BKT to ask about it (I had seen it in all the videos I watched before buying) and they said Kegland discontinued it because it's useless.
Probably explains why I didn’t get it with my second hand one!

So the centre overflow is just there in case you get a stuck mash and you’re not keeping an eye on it?
It definitely looks like it might get in the way a bit.
Thanks for the replies by the way!

Back