Who's Brewing tomorrow?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20200620_140717.jpg
IMG_20200620_140929.jpg

All finished

So my day was eventful.

I don't have anything to heat sparge water so I used the brewzilla and pumped it into cool box to keep warm. I had no idea how long it would take to heat to sparge type temp, I had set timers to get it on the go at 10am but by time that heated and then I heated strike water I was an hour behind what I thought. Will set the timer earlier next time.

Mash was fine apart from the temp didn't drop as expected when adding grain so overall mash temp slightly high.

Sparge was no problem, no rice husks and used fine screen. Added about 12 litres.

Boil was the worst, I didn't use the robobrew right. I got the hot break/boil over before 100 degrees, didn't expect it so low. I then assumed because it looked like it was boiling that it was boiling so added first hops. Turns out it was at 99 for ages so robobrew didn't start it's timer for about 20 minutes, I was wondering why I wasn't losing volume.

Anyway I stuck with the robobrew timer and then fudged up hop addition. Added with 10 to go instead of 6. Final hops as expected and then volume can out a half litre short. OG 1.058 expected was 1.052.

Cooling raced down from 100 to 33 in minutes but stalled from there. Eventually got to 17 so pumped it to FV and got FV into fermenting fridge. Now waiting for it to get to 15 or below to pitch yeast.

Lessons learnt and a lot of mess and puddles in kitchen. Will be smoother next time.

So my day was eventful.

I don't have anything to heat sparge water so I used the brewzilla and pumped it into cool box to keep warm. I had no idea how long it would take to heat to sparge type temp, I had set timers to get it on the go at 10am but by time that heated and then I heated strike water I was an hour behind what I thought. Will set the timer earlier next time.

Mash was fine apart from the temp didn't drop as expected when adding grain so overall mash temp slightly high.

Sparge was no problem, no rice husks and used fine screen. Added about 12 litres.

Boil was the worst, I didn't use the robobrew right. I got the hot break/boil over before 100 degrees, didn't expect it so low. I then assumed because it looked like it was boiling that it was boiling so added first hops. Turns out it was at 99 for ages so robobrew didn't start it's timer for about 20 minutes, I was wondering why I wasn't losing volume.

Anyway I stuck with the robobrew timer and then fudged up hop addition. Added with 10 to go instead of 6. Final hops as expected and then volume can out a half litre short. OG 1.058 expected was 1.052.

Cooling raced down from 100 to 33 in minutes but stalled from there. Eventually got to 17 so pumped it to FV and got FV into fermenting fridge. Now waiting for it to get to 15 or below to pitch yeast.

Lessons learnt and a lot of mess and puddles in kitchen. Will be smoother next time.
Lessons to learn:
  • Double any times you think things will take
  • If mash could get stuck it will
  • Any machine based times or temperatures will be incorrect
  • The last 10% of brewday always takes 50% of overall time
  • Puddles that seem containable always just overflow and cause much more mess than expected
More lessons to be learned next time ;)

Could you share the enville recipe

Sorry, only just seen this message. Here's my version:

1607805718408.png

Ignore the Epsom Salts, you'd have to calculate your own water profile additions. I'd probably go for much less crystal malt next time, maybe down to 0.1kg, came out too dark. But taste-wise, I thought it was pretty close. The more honey the better probably, I think I put the honey in on day two of fermenting. I seem to recall adding another 200g of honey on day five too.

1607806184271.png

I'm just heating my strike water now, tomorrow for the, 'to and from's' is today for me.wink...
21 litres of ESB, full volume mash, Super Pride and EKG hops.

I've just thrown this recipe together for tomorrow, need to do a lightning fast turnaround for Christmas Day:

1607807729173.png

Normally can blitz a 9 day turnaround from grain to glass, god bless temperature controlled fermentation.

Planning a Neipa tomorrow I’ve used Brewdog’s Hazy jane (OG) for a basis a few times now and it’s worked well.
I've also ingredients for an imperial stout but that’s going to be my first brew for 2021athumb..

Latest posts

Back