Winemaking temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDog

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,

My usual brewing 'spots' in the house are still throwing up temperature problems, and I don't know which is best/worst.

1. Airing Cupboard - usual spot for the first week of all 1 gallon brews (30 bottle kit doesnt fit), but noticed today one was going crackers so measured temp, and 29 degrees. Have done a load of brews in here without issue, bottom range seems to be 24.

2. Bedroom Wardrobe, usual spot for week 2 onwards, but noticed that the 'low' point is 16 degrees! It's nowhere near a radiator, and it tucked away and gets no sun warmth either. Steady 19 degrees during the day.

3. New spot, spare room, of the floor on a desk. 18-21 degrees range.

My kits say to NEVER go below 20 degrees, but not to go over 25? Is 18-21 better than 24-29?

Is 17/18 degrees okay for small portions of the day, or am I better off with the sauna of the airing cupboard

Al

I have made wine in my kitchen which in winter gets down to 15c and summer ridiculously hot and i have never had a wine spoil, i have made many different kits and supermarket juice based wines in my kitchen so don't worry about temperature it'll be fine.

I have made wine in my kitchen which in winter gets down to 15c and summer ridiculously hot and i have never had a wine spoil, i have made many different kits and supermarket juice based wines in my kitchen so don't worry about temperature it'll be fine.
Thanks all, the spare room range is 17-21 but everything seems to work, I think I'll sack off the airing cupboard as 29 is a bit mental.
We are changing to a combi boiler soon so the hot water tank will be going and replaced with a radiator and thermostat for my brewing / airing cupboard

Latest posts

Back