Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place for this or not :?:

But I'm seriously considering this kit, all seems fairly simple.

My only question is if i transfer the Werry to a barrel after fermentation do i need to add any sugar or other additive??

Rob

You add sugar for priming (secondary fermentation) which gives you the fizz.

I just did my first Wherry kit, put some beer in a pan with 120g of brewing sugar and heated it up a bit, then put it a second fermentation vessel. I then syphoned the beer onto the sugar mix, and bottled from that FV using a tap and bottling stick.

If you use a pressure barrel, you put the sugar in the barrel - instructions say max of 100g for Wherry, then siphon the beer on top of the sugar in the barrel.

SloeBrewer said:
You add sugar for priming (secondary fermentation) which gives you the fizz.

I just did my first Wherry kit, put some beer in a pan with 120g of brewing sugar and heated it up a bit, then put it a second fermentation vessel. I then syphoned the beer onto the sugar mix, and bottled from that FV using a tap and bottling stick.

If you use a pressure barrel, you put the sugar in the barrel - instructions say max of 100g for Wherry, then siphon the beer on top of the sugar in the barrel.

Thank you for the reply, that got me sorted now all i need to do is get all the kit when i'm back in the uk :)

Tried my first one last night (12 days in the bottle) and it was really nice. Much more taste and aroma than my Coopers IPA batch. It's obviously still very young so i'm guna leave it for another 2 or 3 weeks and give it another taste. :thumb:

Well just had to try a bottle of this stuff just to see how things were developing....and after a 1020 stick and eventual fg of 1016 whick worked out at 3.7 % its a lovely drink..slightly sweet but head and shoulders above any one can kit i've done...gonna give this one another go and hope for the 4.5% they say...cheers :cheers:

Does anyone know why this kit sticks at 1020 and will i ever get an ABV of 4.5% out of it ?

Give it a gentle stir to move the stuff at the bottom (no splashing) and put the FV somewhere warmer till it kicks up again. I did that with mine and it went fine. I'm guessing that maybe dead yeast covers up any living yeast at the bottom perhaps. It's a great kit and really drinkable after only a few weeks.

Tried one last night. The recarbonation exercise worked a treat. Its a lovely beer. If all my brews are this good I will be super impressed. The wherry is better than 90% of the bottled beers you see in asda 4 for 6 quid

Ps i got 4.2% with extra muscovado and short brewing to 22l

steve4520 said:
Does anyone know why this kit sticks at 1020 and will i ever get an ABV of 4.5% out of it ?
Brew short by a couple of litres ive been told on here to get 4.5% :thumb:

mickthetrick said:
well after the dreaded 10.20 stick i did manage to get it down to 10.12. its been kegged for a week and i just tried a sneaky sample. not too impressed with it to be honest. i know its young so i do hope its gets better by christmas.
i brewed up a Sampson bitter a few months back and really enjoyed that. the wherry has a way to go to match that as yet.

well i must admit the wherry turned out a lovely drink. so much that Ive ran out last night :D tastes beautiful and was very clear.
ill get everything cleaned and get another on the go today.
still have 4 that i bought in the tesco sale. :thumb:

Hi there, this my first attempt at home brew and just wanted to ask a few questions.

I started with an og of 1044 and after 16 days in the fv its down to 1015, it was 1016 after 12. 3.9% by my reckoning. I'm conscious of getting it ready for christmas, so is it safe to bottle now despite the odd bubble through the airlock?

europeanbob said:
Hi there, this my first attempt at home brew and just wanted to ask a few questions.

I started with an og of 1044 and after 16 days in the fv its down to 1015, it was 1016 after 12. 3.9% by my reckoning. I'm conscious of getting it ready for christmas, so is it safe to bottle now despite the odd bubble through the airlock?

should be fine to bottle. the one a made did not get much lower than that.
i kegged it mind

bottler said:
steve4520 said:
Brew short by a couple of litres ive been told on here to get 4.5% :thumb:

I shall give that a try on my next one.. :thumb:

I have just tried my 2nd Wherry that has been in the barrel for around 2 weeks and it is far better than the first that I bottled. It is as good if not better than any Wherry I have ever had served in a pub

I've just done my 2nd lot of Wherry - bubbling sway nicely in the FV after a couple of days.

I used the 2 can kit with about 2/3rds of the recommended liquid - my uncle said I'd get a slightly stronger and tastier brew :thumb:

munkian said:
I've just done my 2nd lot of Wherry - bubbling sway nicely in the FV after a couple of days.

I used the 2 can kit with about 2/3rds of the recommended liquid - my uncle said I'd get a slightly stronger and tastier brew :thumb:
Do you mean 2/3rds of the total brew ? Instead of 24 litres, 16 litres ? Sounds a bit harsh to me mate. I like a strong brew myself but wouldnt want to go that short, so id buy a stronger kit.

bottler said:
munkian said:

Do you mean 2/3rds of the total brew ? Instead of 24 litres, 16 litres ? Sounds a bit harsh to me mate. I like a strong brew myself but wouldnt want to go that short, so id buy a stronger kit.

Probably closer to 18-20 litres after looking at it, will let you know how it turns out

munkian said:
bottler said:
munkian said:

Probably closer to 18-20 litres after looking at it, will let you know how it turns out
I like the reviews on this beer, but at 3.8 abv its too weak for me, so id maybe short brew to 20 litres if i brew it, but i think i'll try the woodfordes nog or similar first. :thumb:

alanwh said:
alanwh said:
dps said:
just keged my first Woodfordes Wherry og1.040 fg 1.006 drank the bit in trial jar was nice clean tast and nice and clear

Ditto, exactly the same readings :!: I did this in 5 days :shock: at a controlled 20 degrees. Wonder if the reported ones that end at 1.012 are slightly stuck ferments :?:
I must say at this early stage I am very impressed. This is my first ever kit beer that hasn't got that homebrew tang to it and that's straight out of the FV. I'll update when it's been in the bottle a few weeks.

Just supped the last bottle fortunately I have another batch just coming out of the FV finished at 1006 again. unfortunately I have to wait 4 weeks before I can enjoy some more . A lovely mild pint very tasty and certainly worth the month before drinking. Just wished I had saved a couple of bottles to try after 6 months.

Just supped the last bottle from this second batch,nearly 6 months old, slightly better than at 3 months but all in all.. WOW what a pint !

Back