Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SloeBrewer said:
1.054 sounds high for a Wherry, should have been nearer 1.046, I think. 1.017 is a bit high for finishing, leave it a few more days and see if you can get it down to 1.014 or lower.

Don't worry about the floaty bits, it's just yeast and it will drop to the bottom if you leave it long enough. If you use a racking cane with a sediment trap, you'll leave all the bits behind anyway.
I brewed it short to just under 20l, I agree though in hindsight it does seem high.
I'll look in on it mid week and see what's what.

just brewed my wherry, brought for a bargain price of £13.99 :D

brewed short to 21L, hopefully make the ABV a bit higher! OG was 1042
Will let you know how it turns out :cheers:

Kinleycat said:
SloeBrewer said:
1.054 sounds high for a Wherry, should have been nearer 1.046, I think. 1.017 is a bit high for finishing, leave it a few more days and see if you can get it down to 1.014 or lower.

Don't worry about the floaty bits, it's just yeast and it will drop to the bottom if you leave it long enough. If you use a racking cane with a sediment trap, you'll leave all the bits behind anyway.
I brewed it short to just under 20l, I agree though in hindsight it does seem high.
I'll look in on it mid week and see what's what.
When i get to priming (one litre PET bottles) will 5g be enough? i dont like fizzy ale (apart from lager).

Gonna start my first Wherry off this weekend. Would anyone recommend any tweeks or advice on this brew?

hong said:
Gonna start my first Wherry off this weekend. Would anyone recommend any tweeks or advice on this brew?

There is a dry-hopping tweak you can try, but if it's your first time, I'd just brew it to the instructions, as it's a really nice beer, without messing about with it.

A fabulous first kit for me. Turned out wonderful having been brewed short to 20L ish. Racked it off the yeast after 6 days and left to finish/clear a bit for another 6 days. Bottled to 500ml PET with crown caps.

Bulk carbonated with 100g cane sugar and left in the warm for a week where it has already cleared to about the top 2/3 of the bottle. In the fridge/garage and i expect it will clear the rest of the way.

Because I'm proud of my first brew :-) I've given a few away. Already have another on.
Fish

I live in Suffolk so Woodfordes wherry is very local to me, it is all I really drink in my nearest pub, it's encouraging to hear the kit is so good, glad it worked out well for you, definitely going to give this a go soon.

Stu
Chop_Suey_Stuey

Finally bottled my Wherry today - I started it a month ago but the heating failed, so it took a bit longer than I expected... :?
I'm hoping the long fermentation time hasn't hurt it - it's beautifully clear though!

Cheers! :drink: :cheers:

BerkshireBadger said:
Finally bottled my Wherry today - I started it a month ago but the heating failed, so it took a bit longer than I expected... :?
I'm hoping the long fermentation time hasn't hurt it - it's beautifully clear though!

How long was it sat in the cold before u fixed the heating? Only asking cuz the exact same happened to me last week and im a bit worried as its now been a week without heat :s

ryanshelton said:
BerkshireBadger said:

How long was it sat in the cold before u fixed the heating? Only asking cuz the exact same happened to me last week and im a bit worried as its now been a week without heat :s
No heating in the kitchen for 3 days. It actually dropped below freezing in there at one point! It doesn't matter how many towels you wrap round the FV when it gets that cold! :cry:

Its worth having a brew heat belt, or submersible fishtank heater lads, as they would have kept the brew warm. :thumb:

BerkshireBadger said:
ryanshelton said:
BerkshireBadger said:

No heating in the kitchen for 3 days. It actually dropped below freezing in there at one point! It doesn't matter how many towels you wrap round the FV when it gets that cold! :cry:

Mmm mines been a week. Hopefully new boiler wednesday!'

bottler said:
Its worth having a brew heat belt, or submersible fishtank heater lads, as they would have kept the brew warm. :thumb:

Aye in hindsight I wouldve brought one as a backup :( is my brew likely to have any problems being cold for a week?

I think the cold will just slow it down, shouldnt do any damage i think. Keep us posted mate :thumb:

Hi. I did a batch of wherry in January and bottled it in pet bottles. It came out very clear but dark and my god very bitter. I have a second batch that I finished in a cask. This is just starting to clear and does not have the extreme bitterness of the bottled version.
Any body have any views on it.
Both were kept at between 20 & 24 degrees during fermentation.
The first batch is a too bitter for me but the second is very nice and i am sure will get better as it clears completely.

Keg 1: Woodefordes Sundew
Keg 2: woodefordes Wherry
FV 1: Muntons Cabernet Sauvignon
FV 2: KenRidge Classic Sauvignon Blanc

Hello Everybody,
Thought I`d add my bit to the Wherry Love-in! Started mine 24th Jan, made kit as per instructions (new to brewing, my first kit), SG 1040, FG1010. Bottled and Kegged on 8/2/13, put in the warm 4 days, put in the cold to settle. Not having much time to settle, only 5 pints left in Keg, 10 pints in bottles left! Lovely Beer! My son (24yrs old), Fosters Lager drinker took a couple of bottles to a party last night and everyone was impressed with the quality of my beer! Result!
Ditch`s Stout made on Friday 20Lt, Youngs Lager 20Lt 9/2/13, 5lts Alco-coke and 4 X 5Lts different TC`s on the go as well, oh and 20Lts of Alcotec48 for the son. My wife wants her living room back, she said that I must build a Brew shed in the garden! Another result!
FC

Latest posts

Back