Worst commercial beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlsberg Export. Not sure if you can still get the stuff, but the ****tiest "premium" beer I've ever tasted - just a weird chemical flavour. Gives the worst hangover, too.

I think that may be bacause (I read on another forum) Doombar is fermented really warm like 23C/24C or something like that
Its diacetyl and it must be that they get rid of the yeast before it tidies up.

Tennent's Super and Carlsberg Special Brew. I'm embarrassed to say I sank loads of them when I was a teenager, but only because I was skint and thirsty. Sometimes we would make snakebites by watering them down with some crappy 7.5% white cider like White Lightning. I bought a Special Brew a couple of years ago, to reminisce, but instead of transporting me back to my youth, the first sip made me thing "Jesus Iain, teenage you was a moron", and down the plug hole it went. :lol:

Tennent's Super and Carlsberg Special Brew. I'm embarrassed to say I sank loads of them when I was a teenager, but only because I was skint and thirsty. Sometimes we would make snakebites by watering them down with some crappy 7.5% white cider like White Lightning. I bought a Special Brew a couple of years ago, to reminisce, but instead of transporting me back to my youth, the first sip made me thing "Jesus Iain, teenage you was a moron", and down the plug hole it went. :lol:

I've always given tramp juice a pass when thinking about bad beers - it's got a job to do and it gets it done. I've been heartened in recent years though that our Eastern European friends have brought their own versions with them and have pretty much consigned Spesh and Super to the annals of history as the Euro stuff is typically a lot cheaper and more palatable.

Anything in the UK that comes out of a flashy pump with the word 'lager' on it. Take your pick.

I was in the pub earlier watching Leicester take a beating and was kind of mesmerised by the (I think it was) heiniken pump. It was thickly frosted with ice and had a thermometer on it reading -2C

Carlsberg. End of story. Worst commercial 'beer' ever.

Boddingtons and John Smiths were mentioned on the thread earlier, also agreed. Carling is pretty **** out of a can, too!

I used to occasionally get Harp Ice Cold. It wasn't so bad because they served it that cold you couldn't taste it. Problem was it warmed up.

Seen an advert for Budweiser earlier. At the end it said "We could make it quicker, or we can make it bud." All I could think was, you could make it slower and make it drinkable. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to occasionally get Harp Ice Cold. It wasn't so bad because they served it that cold you couldn't taste it. Problem was it warmed up.

Seen an advert for Budweiser earlier. At the end it said "We could make it quicker, or we can make it bud." All I could think was, you could make it slower and make it drinkable. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How could they possibly make it quicker? They probably knock it out in about 3 days

Remember the old slogan "This Bud's for you".

Thats because no one in their right mind with any taste would want it for themselves.

I think your right, that it's hard to make lower gravity beers. I think commercial brewers get a tax break if the beer is a low abv% (perhaps around 3%, I think I read) but you never see any in the pub - probably because it so difficult to brew a beer people will like and buy

Its <2.8% beer has no duty, but no good beer.

I agree on Carling, Carlsberg (4%)' John Smiths and Boddingtons (ugh), Fosters (:doh:) and the rest of those cheap rubbish no taste non beers. I used to drink lots of the export lagers like kronenbourg which were ok but only because they were alcohol! My pet hate is those tens of beer brands that pretend to come from exotic places but are all made the same over here under licence by the now big three factories. Beers like Sol are rubbish and you have to have a Lime in them to make them taste of anything. As I get acid from commercial largers the s@@t taste means that they are not worth the effort of even drinking them. I would rather drink nothing than those pathetic excuses for "beer". As for american Bud the so called King of Beer..what a joke that rubbish is and no wonder the is a massive craft movement in the States after they have had to suffer with that pish for so long. They even make light versions of it....I suppose that people buy bottled water so I shoulnt be surprised at people shelling money out for something that tastes better out of a tap prior to being molested by the Bud factory.

I agree, forgot about sol and corona there even worse than the generic lagers.

After not having a pint of Guinness for sometime, and yesterday having one. I'd say it's the worst. Read they had changed the recipe so it was vegan friendly. Christ, if that's what vegans put up with taste wise I'm definitely not turning! 😀

After not having a pint of Guinness for sometime, and yesterday having one. I'd say it's the worst. Read they had changed the recipe so it was vegan friendly. Christ, if that's what vegans put up with taste wise I'm definitely not turning! ������

I know, it's shocking! They ought to rename it Guinn-less.

Last edited:
The worst beer I've ever tasted was Zhiguli Lager (the most popular beer in Russia) when they had a brief foray into the UK market. Came from a bottle, but tasted like rusty nails.

I remember Tennants Super and Crest 9 and 10% beers.. They were rank :lol: almost like tar and sticky and tasted really bad, it had flavour alright but it was filth!!

I would have thought there would be a market for such low ABV% beers, such as for those driving? But as others have said perhaps they're too hard to make tastey and with any sort of body?

Mackeson is only 2.8% but it's a cracking drop, as I found recently when I bought some to see if it had 'done a Guinness'. Fortunately, no.

Latest posts

Back