Worst commercial beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it's got to be Green King IPA.... Just grim.

I used to think bottles of becks had the aroma of wet dog but I haven't had one in about 15 years so not sure if that's still the case.

Carlsberg Export. Not sure if you can still get the stuff, but the ****tiest "premium" beer I've ever tasted - just a weird chemical flavour. Gives the worst hangover, too.
Used to be my beer of choice when I was younger. Hadn't seen it for sale for years' but saw some for sale in our corner shop, so obviously had to buy some as a "treat". Definitely now has a horrid chemical taste and gives the worst hangover. Won't be buying any more!

I used to think bottles of becks had the aroma of wet dog but I haven't had one in about 15 years so not sure if that's still the case.
No longer wet dog, more of a B.O. Sort of aroma now.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Funny that John Smith's and Tetley's though rightly reviled in their current form used to be really, really good session beers. Something definitely went wrong about the time of the nitrokeg fad in the 90s, or was it when S&N bought Courage and Carlsberg bought Tetley's? Since then they've just tasted 'cheap', like they reduced the hops to a mere whiff and replaced malt with some chemical equivalent and sugar. I used to love the sulphorous eggy smell of a good Tetleys. Not any more, not for a long time. Landlord's going the same way. Used to be great, now becoming thin and flavourless.

I agree with all the genuine bad-un's quoted here: Carling, Fosters, Carlsberg, GK IPA (really?), anything with a supermarket label on it.

Coors Light. Over carbed and pretty tasteless.
Becks. I get a skunky taste off the bottles

Worst thing I ever had was in Canada. Bud light lime. It was an affront to humanity and left me genuinely offended. Who would have thought Bud could be made any worse than it already was. :sick:

I think the issue with these tasteless beers like John's Smith's, Worthington Creamflow, Guinness and all the standard Lagers on tap, is that boring beer sells.

Boring beer sells because most "drinkers" don't actually like beer. They just like getting ****** on whatever slides down easily without gracing their taste buds.

The last time I helped out at a food festival serving craft ale samples you could instantly separate the beer fans from drinking fans.

Beer fans would approach the stand, ask about the beer on offer and sample them politely and discuss the flavours and give meaningful feedback.

Drinkers would be getting dragged around by thier wives. The wife would say something like " you like beer dear"(by which she means, "you like to sink 10 pints of commercial swill and satgger home"). This would be met with a begrudging walk over to try the beer.

Once said beer was tasted it would either be followed by a vacant look or a statement like " tastes too tangy" "tastes too strong" or "what % is this?" or my favourite "is this wheat beer?".

The state of most commercial beer style interpretations is a direct reflection of those who consume them, tasteless.

I used to live in the cambridge area some 30 years ago and the Greene king beer was fantastic. If you follow them on the financial/stock exchange pages you will see they have really no interest in making beer anymore but making money for share holders...its called capitalism. Its the way of the world today..its the way forward.... apparently.

I think the issue with these tasteless beers like John's Smith's, Worthington Creamflow, Guinness and all the standard Lagers on tap, is that boring beer sells.

Boring beer sells because most "drinkers" don't actually like beer. They just like getting ****** on whatever slides down easily without gracing their taste buds.

The last time I helped out at a food festival serving craft ale samples you could instantly separate the beer fans from drinking fans.

Beer fans would approach the stand, ask about the beer on offer and sample them politely and discuss the flavours and give meaningful feedback.

Drinkers would be getting dragged around by thier wives. The wife would say something like " you like beer dear"(by which she means, "you like to sink 10 pints of commercial swill and satgger home"). This would be met with a begrudging walk over to try the beer.

Once said beer was tasted it would either be followed by a vacant look or a statement like " tastes too tangy" "tastes too strong" or "what % is this?" or my favourite "is this wheat beer?".

The state of most commercial beer style interpretations is a direct reflection of those who consume them, tasteless.

A very interesting viewpoint and one I think I agree with.

I used to live in the cambridge area some 30 years ago and the Greene king beer was fantastic. If you follow them on the financial/stock exchange pages you will see they have really no interest in making beer anymore but making money for share holders...its called capitalism. Its the way of the world today..its the way forward.... apparently.

I kind of cant blame these breweries (both big and small) that sell themselve to bigger breweries then the beer gets turned to **** in the persuit of profit. If I owned a brewery and someone said to me, he's X million quid for your brewery. I'd probably take it, retire, buy a braumeister and live happily ever after :lol:

I kind of cant blame these breweries (both big and small) that sell themselve to bigger breweries then the beer gets turned to **** in the persuit of profit. If I owned a brewery and someone said to me, he's X million quid for your brewery. I'd probably take it, retire, buy a braumeister and live happily ever after :lol:
thats the problem
you have absolutely no principals:lol:

I've made a few stouts but never been a big Guinness drinker or anything.. I always though extra cold seemed self defeating.. anyone had one to confirm? Seems like a marketing campaign to sell even more tasteless beer

I've thought of one worse than john Smith's. John Smith's Gold. They're pale ale / blonde craft beer effort. I bought one out of morbid curiosity. Horrid stuff. Plain pale beer with the Smith's burnt turd aftertaste.

Back