Wort or beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_rawdin

Regular.
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but at what stage exactly does wort become beer? As soon as it starts fermenting? When it's finished fermenting etc?

It is wort before you pitch, and beer after fermentation. In between it is somewhere between the two. Any insistence that there must be a moment when, just before it is definitely wort, and just after it is definitely beer, is benign example of the tyranny of the discontinuous mind.

I would say wort as it go into the fv
and beer as it go into the pb then down your neck

Wikipedia provides some of the answer on wort
In beer making, the wort is known as "sweet wort" until the hops have been added, after which it is called "hopped or bitter wort"
Then I'm with IainM. :thumb:

It is wort before you pitch, and beer after fermentation. In between it is somewhere between the two. Any insistence that there must be a moment when, just before it is definitely wort, and just after it is definitely beer, is benign example of the tyranny of the discontinuous mind.

loved the quote, how true.

you could I suppose opt for a legal definition (I made this up) beer is an alcoholic beverage using grains, malts and or sugars containing at least 0.01% alcohol by volume. so in this made up example it would be only just beer right after pitching the yeast and get more beery as the fermentation went on.

Think about the german beer purity law - a fruit beer is not a beer :oops:

I'd say from the moment the yeast is chucked in - it's from there that the yeast takes hold of the wheel and drives it to its destination.

No gunge its destination is the toilet pan , and i def, know how to covert pints of perfectly chilled beer into P**s :lol:

So. Is the definite answer here that there is no definite answer? There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer when doing a Google search either, hmmm

Back