Yeast help needed pronto

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning chaps,

I have started my yeast starter quite late (last night) and I used leftover yeast from the bottom of the bottles of my porter (Hook Norton yeast).

Made up the dme solution and added it to the DJ with the yeast but I'm not sure if it'll be enough (though I'm brewing a fairly weak abv beer.)
Have some dried yeast on standby.
6388fe8ba8a434288e07720ad031b74e.jpg
[/IMG]

You should be ok. Did you put all of it? I usually split my old yeast.

"I have started my yeast starter quite late (last night) and I used leftover yeast from the bottom of the bottles of my porter (Hook Norton yeast). "

Yeast from the bottom of bottles would often need to be stepped up i.e. multiple smaller starters increasing in size until you've got enough yeast to make a full starter. It might be that you didn't start with enough viable yeast to make a starter. If I was in doubt I would probably pitch the dry pack

+1. Be a shame to go to all the bother of a brew and then for it not to start. Pitch the dry packet (rehydrated?).

You'd be surprised how quick the yeast get active. I just make it a habit to collect, wash and grow the yeast right after I bottle. I can usually get 3 batches from one FV. prep them and store them in the fridge. If I'm going to brew soon after bottling, up to a week, I just leave the yeast out in sealed maison jars. Currently I have 6 batches in the fridge. Today I took one out about 4 or 5 hours before pitching. When the wort was cooling, I took 150 ml out, chilled it quick and put it into the yeast about an hour before pitching. I don't know if it's the right way but it always works for me. Almost always, within 6 hours there is crazy activity in the FV.

Back