Yeast question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killick Greenie

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I've just looked at my maiden AG brew in the FV (Gob Hoblin) its been in there since last Sunday and there's still a head on the top. Up to now I've brewed Norfolk Wherry from kits and the head always disappeared. Is there something wrong with my brew? :pray:
:cheers:

No. You don't mention where you're from, but it is perhaps a little surprising that the foam top's still there. Was it quick to form? i.e. was it there on Monday? I mention your location because temperature has a large part to play in yeast activity, and with the Northern Hemisphere in meteorological summer it shouldn't last too long unless you've got the FV in a temperature controlled environment. Expect to see it die down over the next 3 days.

edit: also AG brews in my experience tend to have better head retention, i.e. the frothy head will last longer than kit brews anyway, so don't be too perturbed. Lob your sanitised hydrometer in to get a better idea of what's going on.

Thanks for the quick reply, we live in the south east but the brew is in the utility room so I think the temp is unlikely to have been below 18C. I'll get the reading as suggested.

Just checked the SG its now at 1011 and the head of yeast is still in place, is this normal? I used Safale yeast that came from the kit. I did a taste check and it tasted fanbl**dytastic :party:

It'll be reet, dont mess with it much more. it should die back after about 10 days, then keg or bottle it.

Rule of thumb is test with hydrometer and keg or bottle when it does no change for 3 days.

Whilst I type it sounds like machine gun fire in the distance, I think one of the local bars has a flamenco act on.

Up

Some yeasts behave this way. . . . . They form a yeast crust that sits on the top of the brew throughout fermentation (top fermenting) . . . Most ale yeasts should do this, but it has become rarer to find them doing so.

As UP said don't worry about it as it is a sign of healthy yeast, it should subside once all fermentation is over . . .or you can skim it after 10 days before transferring into bottle. . . . I counter this by crash cooling the green beer to 2C for a couple of days. . . . most commercial breweries would harvest the yeast head for their next brew.

Thanks Guy's, I'm feeling better already :thumb: I've been away a couple of days and the heads still there although it seems to be breaking up, I'll check the numbers later.

I like the idea of skimming the yeast. Do you just put a load of it in a sterilised jar and keep it in the fridge?

This skimming the crud off the top in the FV, guys (top-fermenting yeast).

How many times do you do it? Daily? I could do it several times a day if I wanted. Or just once or twice?

Latest posts

Back