Yeast sitting on foam ok?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbrewer2

Reaction score
Just started my first brew yesterday sprinkled the yeast on top and my airlock is bubbling away but I opened it up to take a look today and it looks like my yeast is sitting on top of the foam is that ok or should i give it a little stir not sure as its my first time thanks.

Why did you open it up if its going OK? Its fine.
t.gif

Leave it alone!
The next time you open it up should be at least 10 days away to take your first SG reading, longer if its still bubbling to any extent. In the meantime keep the lid on.

I just wanted to see what it smells like so I can know the smells for future so if I smell anything off next time I will know but I won't open it again

Hi newbrewer, welcome to the form. First brew is real cool. Just think, you'll be guzzling that in a few weeks.

I'm just wondering also how often should I change the water in my airlock before the water goes bad as I don't have any vodka or starsan to add to the water

I'm just wondering also how often should I change the water in my airlock before the water goes bad as I don't have any vodka or starsan to add to the water
The water doesn't go bad.
In the unlikely event that it evaporates and you lose the seal, top it up with more water.
Don't look for problems. It will be alright. :thumb:
In the meantime try this which might answer a few more queries.....
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57526

Why did you open it up if its going OK? Its fine.
t.gif

Leave it alone!
The next time you open it up should be at least 10 days away to take your first SG reading, longer if its still bubbling to any extent. In the meantime keep the lid on.

Totally agree the more you interfere with it the more chance of infecting with nasties . Leave it to do its thing. & it's perfectly normal for yeast to be visible on top of the foam. Krausen.

The foam you saw on top of the beer is actually the yeast at work. It is called the krausen and is the yeast clumping together and rising to the top of the beer on the CO2 bubbles they are generating.

Usually the krausen will hang around for anything from 3-10 days before dropping back into the brew and sinking to the bottom. When the krausen drops it is a good indication that primary fermentation is just about over but it is always a good idea to leave the beer for 2 weeks before bottling/kegging.

As already said, it is a good idea to leave the lid on for 10 days before taking a gravity sample which will hopefully show that it has reached the expected final gravity.

Good luck, and enjoy the beer.

Latest posts

Back