Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can be had for cheaper from this supplier who I have used before and is reliable.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/American-...hash=item5b140d9d38:m:m-KVmcL795cp1Lw_ZhQx6VA

With regards to this seller, I bought my Grainfather through her and loads of kits before that, she is prompt, honest and has the best prices out there. If I lived in Britain I would ask her out!! I have no affiliation with her but she really is a benchmark for great service and quick shipping at the best prices.

I have a Punk IPA brewing now, the pre 2010 DIYDOG version, if it turns out as well as my Youngs AIPA kit I will be stoked !! With regards to it "having a twang", such kit vs. AG snobbery is so 1990 !! I am away for 2 weeks on a rig so no beer here, but when I get home it will be the Young AIPA that get opened first, and then to bottle the Punk IPA and the waiting to see if it comes close....

It does come very close I tried them back to back a few weeks ago.
My AIPA was less cloudy, stronger and equal or better on taste.
As soon as I,m home going to do another one.

I sunk a couple (ok, four) last night after only chilling them for 3 hours (as opposed to a week). They've cleared really well but there is quite a lot of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. It's a really decent beer, though it's at the outer limits of bitterness so not one for a newbie to IPA. I also don't think I could drink more than 4 anyway. I didn't take a reading at the beginning so don't know the final ABV (beginner's error), but I wouldn't want to tackle any more than I did as it packs some punch. Will definitely be putting another one in the FV soon.

Hi chaps, New member here.
After having a read through this forum and being a big fan of punk, and more recently Elvis juice, I've got my mrs to buy me one of these brew kits along with a equipment starter kit for my Birthday which is on December 3rd.
I am starting from the scratch with absolutely zero knowledge or experience with home brewing so any advice or tips appreciated :)
I'm going to have a good long read through all the forums to learn as much as I can so I'm not going in blind and wasting the kit.
My first question though if you don't mind...from start to finish, how long does the whole process take to get the best possible results?
Thanks in advance,
Gaz

Most people work on a 2+2+2 process, 2 weeks fermentation, 2 weeks somewhere with the bottles about the same temp as fermentation and then 2 weeks somewhere cool.

Most people work on a 2+2+2 process, 2 weeks fermentation, 2 weeks somewhere with the bottles about the same temp as fermentation and then 2 weeks somewhere cool.

Hmmmm.........interesting! So if I get on my hands and knees and convince her to give it me early, It could potentially be ready for xmas? :mrgreen:

Thanks mate :thumb:

It could potentially be ready for xmas?
I've done two of these. So it's 3 weeks in the FV (unlikely to be ready in 2 weeks), up to 2 weeks carbing, and then somewhere in the cold to condition and clear (say another two weeks) and that brings you up to Xmas, and it's ready to drink, assuming its cleared.

Hmmmm.........interesting! So if I get on my hands and knees and convince her to give it me early, It could potentially be ready for xmas? :mrgreen:

Thanks mate :thumb:

LOL
If not,brew it on the 3rd,should be ready to bottle on the 17th :pray:
Condition for 1 week chill overnight and merry Christmas :thumb:
It will get better as the weeks go on,but a cracking brew awaits you sir.

I've done two of these. So it's 3 weeks in the FV (unlikely to be ready in 2 weeks), up to 2 weeks carbing, and then somewhere in the cold to condition and clear (say another two weeks) and that brings you up to Xmas, and it's ready to drink, assuming its cleared.

Cheers mate,
Looks like I've got some groveling to do :lol:

LOL
If not,brew it on the 3rd,should be ready to bottle on the 17th :pray:
Condition for 1 week chill overnight and merry Christmas :thumb:
It will get better as the weeks go on,but a cracking brew awaits you sir.

Sounds like a plan....Although I'm confident my powers of persuasion (and some diy offers) may see me right :lol:

The more I read about this kit, the more I want to do it, being a huge fan now of super hoppy IPA's (including Goose Island and Punk IPA which apparently this kit is really close to). I am trying to move away from kits into extract though, but after my Way To Amarillo extract wasn't that good, I am sorely tempted to give this one last kit a whirl!!:doh:

The more I read about this kit, the more I want to do it, being a huge fan now of super hoppy IPA's (including Good Island and Punk IPA which apparently this kit is really close to). I am trying to move away from kits into extract though, but after my Way To Amarillo extract wasn't that good, I am sorely tempted to give this one last kit a whirl!!:doh:

Try a wilko ipa mate, then choose some extra hops to add to it! Cheap quick and you wont be disappointed! One of my best brews so far

The more I read about this kit, the more I want to do it, being a huge fan now of super hoppy IPA's (including Good Island and Punk IPA which apparently this kit is really close to). I am trying to move away from kits into extract though, but after my Way To Amarillo extract wasn't that good, I am sorely tempted to give this one last kit a whirl!!:doh:

Its the best kit on the market imo,the hop combination is super and its better value for money with a 3.5 kg bag of lme,100g of hops,700g of dextrose and priming sugar included.

Try a wilko ipa mate, then choose some extra hops to add to it! Cheap quick and you wont be disappointed! One of my best brews so far

Cheers; I have done that a couple of times before but found it quite pricey, given the cost of extra malt / hops probably the Youngs Kit more cost effective I guess?

Dusted off my 40 pint PV of the IPA.
Got a lil crappy smelling and weird tastign the last few pints.
Really enjoyed it and it kicks your ass after a few pints.
TBH if you like hoppy beers I`ve found the Cwtch kit much hoppier and tastier. Just fermenting my 2nd batch now

Cheers; I have done that a couple of times before but found it quite pricey, given the cost of extra malt / hops probably the Youngs Kit more cost effective I guess?

I think the kit, some brewing sugar and a few hop pellets came to 20 quid all together, then it was just 100+ gms of granulated sugar to prime

Latest posts

Back