Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afternoon all - I added hops yesterday and am hoping to bottle on Sunday - one thing that's bothering me - I've already cleaned out my bottles with bottle brush (they are old bottles) and put them in dishwasher for a cycle - on Sunday I intend to soak them in a solution of VWP steriliser - can they then be rinsed with cold tap water - I'm sure I have read somewhere this is a no no - I don't want to fail at the final hurdle !

I've rinsed with tap water before, not had any issues, I always put mine in the oven for a couple of hours now and let them cool down over night before bottling day, bone dry and sanitised that way

- on Sunday I intend to soak them in a solution of VWP steriliser - can they then be rinsed with cold tap water - I'm sure I have read somewhere this is a no no - I don't want to fail at the final hurdle !
First you must make sure that there are no traces of VWP in your bottles before you fill them with beer.
Next you can use mains tap water to wash out VWP from your bottles, it is sterile. Just give them chance to drain before you add the beer.
Do not use water from your hot water system to wash out the bottles since it is not sterile.

Cheers for that - do they need to be completely dry inside and should I cover the openings with foil or clingfilm before filling?

Cheers for that - do they need to be completely dry inside and should I cover the openings with foil or clingfilm before filling?
Others go through the process of oven drying their bottles after rinsing and then covering the opening with cling film before they are used. I assume that this is if the bottles are left some time before they are filled.
However if following VWP treatment you final rinse and drain immediately before use there is no need to cover openings since the bottles are sterile inside. Thats what I do. Its easier :thumb:

Basically my last 8 bottles were 7 brown and 1 clear. I had tilted my fv slightly to try and reduce waste and syphoned off the 7 brown ones but when I got to the last clear bottle (where i can actually see the beer)I noticed it was a dark, creamy and milky.
The previous bottles were just put with the rest and I have no way of identifying.
Will they still be ok do you think?

Gaz
Anybody?

Also the sugar that I added to my bottles is currently sat on the bottom of each bottle. Should I shake up to try and mix or should I just leave it?

Thanks again, appreciate it.
Gaz

Yep,i bottle as much as i can from my fv, some of the bottles look like mudwater but in the end they just have a little more sediment /trub at the bottom of the bottles. If you hold thwm up to the light you should still be able to see a difference

...mains water is not completely sterile..it's sterile enough to drink. Put some in a clean bottle and leave on a sunny window sill...

Cheers

Clint
If we are splitting hairs, yes it's 'sterile' enough to drink.
It's what happens to it afterwards that matters, if that's the point being made.
If you leave any water (irradiated, de-ionised, or otherwise) in a favourable environment for long enough i.e. warm, light, oxygenated, I'm sure sooner or later it will develop green algae growth. But we are not doing that, well, at least I'm not in relation to my home brewing.

I agree..
Back to AIPA. ..still with some lid pressure and a gurgle every five minutes or so after 19 days fg is at 1010..kit says to dry hop now but should I leave it a bit longer as it's still giving off c02?

Cheers

Clint

I agree..
Back to AIPA. ..still with some lid pressure and a gurgle every five minutes or so after 19 days fg is at 1010..kit says to dry hop now but should I leave it a bit longer as it's still giving off c02?

Cheers

Clint
My understanding about dry hopping is that it is primarily hop aroma that is achieved with flavour second. CO2 bubbles will strip out the aroma if you add your hops now but since the bubble rate is way down that's not likely to be very significant. If I were you I'd probably leave it another day or two and then chuck the hops in; in the overall scheme of things an additional couple of days is not really going to make much difference to you getting to drink it but might be in terms of the end product.

My bottles are currently on my kitchen side carbonating and I've noticed a bit of build up/sediment in the bottom of the bottle. As this is my first effort at homebrew, i'm not sure if its normal or not.
At first I thought it was priming sugar but clearly its not.

WP_20161119_20_59_28_Pro.jpg

Calm down. ..it looks like the yeast falling out of suspension after/during carbonation. ...it's normal. How long have they been where they are? If it's longer than a couple of weeks move them to somewhere cooler. ..like the shed!

Cheers

Clint

Calm down. ..it looks like the yeast falling out of suspension after/during carbonation. ...it's normal. How long have they been where they are? If it's longer than a couple of weeks move them to somewhere cooler. ..like the shed!

Cheers

Clint

Cheers Clint,
They've only been on the kitchen side since I bottled on Thursday.
I'm going to leave in the Kitchen for a couple of weeks to carbonate then put in the shed for a week or two.Will this Yeast remain even then or does it go?
This is my first ever batch and I've never even tried a homebrew beer before so don't quite know what to expect.
Will it clear like a "purchased beer" or would you always expect a little gunk in the bottom of homebrewed beer?

Cheers Clint,
They've only been on the kitchen side since I bottled on Thursday.
I'm going to leave in the Kitchen for a couple of weeks to carbonate then put in the shed for a week or two.Will this Yeast remain even then or does it go?
This is my first ever batch and I've never even tried a homebrew beer before so don't quite know what to expect.
Will it clear like a "purchased beer" or would you always expect a little gunk in the bottom of homebrewed beer?
One of the hazards of trying to rush the brewing process and get the beer into the bottles before you allow the brew in the FV to clear or at least substantially clear is... you end up with more yeast in the bottles.
So what you seem to have is quite a heavy yeast load in one bottle at least and I'm afraid that it will not go. The good news is that after it has carbonated your beer it will eventually clear to leave a layer on the bottom of the bottles and it should pack down in time.
So when you open the bottles just carefully pour without disturbing this yeast layer, to leave a little beer left in the bottle with as much yeast as you can, unless of course you like yeasty beer. Personally I am not very keen at all.

Cheers Terry.
I left it fermenting for over 2 weeks then added the hops (when I got a stable gravity reading over a couple of days) . I then left for 4 days in the warm then turned off the heat and left for a further 2 days before bottling.
Could I have avoided this yeast transfer by leaving it for longer?

Cheers
Gaz

Cheers Terry.
I left it fermenting for over 2 weeks then added the hops (when I got a stable gravity reading over a couple of days) . I then left for 4 days in the warm then turned off the heat and left for a further 2 days before bottling.
Could I have avoided this yeast transfer by leaving it for longer?

Cheers
Gaz

mine was left for nearly 4 weeks in the primary, then another week dry hopping in the secondary before I bottled it, couple of weeks in the warm and its been in the garage now for a couple of weeks, just starting to have a few bottles now and it has sediment at the bottom still, just pour carefully and leave the last little bit, worth the wait though its a cracking pint :thumb:

mine was left for nearly 4 weeks in the primary, then another week dry hopping in the secondary before I bottled it, couple of weeks in the warm and its been in the garage now for a couple of weeks, just starting to have a few bottles now and it has sediment at the bottom still, just pour carefully and leave the last little bit, worth the wait though its a cracking pint :thumb:

Cheers mate, Yeah ill just pour carefully then. A lot of my bottles are dark brown though so may be a little hard to gauge.

Cheers mate, Yeah ill just pour carefully then. A lot of my bottles are dark brown though so may be a little hard to gauge.

all my bottles are brown, as you near the end of the pour you'll notice the colour change with the sediment, just stop there for a clear pint, more often than not I'll just cane it all in, I don't mind the taste at all, but the Mrs hates it :lol: !

All bottled on day 21 - 62 bottles , 6.1% - smelling and tasting good. I am storing them in my boiler cupboard - I checked the temp today and it seems to be around 18 degrees - will this be high enough for carbonation to take place? - theres not really a warmer place in the house - I used a brew belt when fermenting but obviously no good now I've bottled .

Latest posts

Back