Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has been in the bottle four weeks now and is starting to taste nice. It still needs some time to clear as still a bit cloudy/Yeasty. Would definitely do this one again :-)

After short brewing to 20.5l and leaving dry hops in for a week i thought id blown this. First few weeks bit of acidic and metalic taste. After 8 weeks its turned out s'#t hot. Strange how all of a sudden within the space of a week it has sunddenly turned significantly better. Lots of friends like it but not used to strongly hopped IPA so they find it a bit strange.

think will try the Brewdog Punk to see how it measures against
Kimo

Just started an American IPA kit. Got a starting gravity of 1056. Anyone know what I can expect that to come down to, or is that inconsistent, too?

Both of mine started at 1.050 and got down to 1.005 and 1.006

this is my first home brew attempt and due to my own cock up it spent 12 hours at 28 degrees I have now stabilized the temp to 20 -22 degrees ,have I ruined this brew or should I carry on with it, thanks for any advice in advance

this is my first home brew attempt and due to my own cock up it spent 12 hours at 28 degrees I have now stabilized the temp to 20 -22 degrees ,have I ruined this brew or should I carry on with it, thanks for any advice in advance

It will probably be fine..You won't know until it is done and left to condition a few weeks after the dry hop.. I believe someone said off flavours from high temps won't occur until 72 hours after pitching..

First few hours the yeast is waking up and multiplying so you did the best thing by bringing the temp down, you'll probably be okay just remember to give it plenty of time:thumb:

My first batch was done in the shed during the June heat wave. Needed a bubbling tube while fermenting but end result tasted great to me.

Just cracked open a 330ml of this, which I bottled on 14th Nov. Had two weeks at room temp then out to garage.

It's already a pretty decent drop but not anywhere near its full potential, certainly going by the last batch I brewed.

The fact I've started drinking this means I need to get another batch on the go or I will be left short!!!

Hi all
After 12 days my fv went very quiet and gravity down to 1.008 (sg 1.055) so I chucked in the hops thinking that in 3 days time I would barrel it , now my fv has livened up some and after 2 days is down to 1.006
Is it normal to liven up when hops put in or have I chucked em in too early. Instructions say add hops 2 to 3 days before barreling
I intent to wait a few more days and see if gravity is still 1.006 and barrel it if it is

Does anyone know what the specific hops are in the dry hop pack?

The blurb says they use Chinook, Centennial and Simcoe, but not whether that's in the main extract or the dry hops.

I only ask as I'm a few days away from adding the hops (my first brew) and am thinking of using 85g of the 100g just to reduce the apparently insane hoppiness a little. I've been inspired by Clibit's simple AG recipe and am thinking of using the remaining hops in that for my next brew up. But I want to know exactly what they are so I can record the recipe correctly.

Any ideas?

Does anyone know what the specific hops are in the dry hop pack?

The blurb says they use Chinook, Centennial and Simcoe, but not whether that's in the main extract or the dry hops.

I only ask as I'm a few days away from adding the hops (my first brew) and am thinking of using 85g of the 100g just to reduce the apparently insane hoppiness a little. I've been inspired by Clibit's simple AG recipe and am thinking of using the remaining hops in that for my next brew up. But I want to know exactly what they are so I can record the recipe correctly.

Any ideas?
Why not talk to Youngs? You have nothing to lose. They were quite helpful when I had to speak to them about something. The worse you'll get is 'Sorry we can't divulge that, it's a secret' !

Spoke to a very nice Young's chap called Lee who said that the pellets are a combination of the three hops used in the extract.

Wondering if anyone can advise on this, i know it's not the ipa but hopefully you can help?
I started the apa kit last monday with an sg of 1050, 8 days later im down to 1008 & fermentation to complete is meant to be around 15days. Should i leave it a couple more days, check again & then add hops? Instructions are almost identical to the ipa.

Yeah. Take another reading in a day or so, if it hasn't changed, chuck in the hops.

Mine left a thick bitty scum on top which got everywhere on bottling day, so I would use a bag if you can.

I recently brewed a batch of the APA and can share my experience. my OG was 1.042. I waited 13 days before checking it again and found a value of 1.004. I dry hopped and checked again at 15 days: no further change. So my final ABV was 5.0%. It hovered around 18C throughout.

Your values correspond to 5.5% so it's likely done it's business. If you want to err on the side of caution, you could wait another couple of days and see if it drops further. Or you could chance it and chuck the hops in now (but check again before bottling, if you're bottling. If you're kegging it's not a biggie if it's not quite finished).

Either way, you'll need a bit of patience: it only really started to taste nice at the 30 day mark (and I expect it to keep improving). Good luck!

Latest posts

Back