Youngs leaky vessels ; problems with.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crafty-man

Reaction score
This is my first foray into homebrewing and I'm a little dissapointed with the commonly found vessels. My FV is a Youngs 5 gal with a tap and rather loose fitting lid, I don't mind paying an extra few quid for one that actually seals. Can't be that difficult.

I also bought a Youngs 5gal pressure barrel and decided to pressure test it half full of water only to find it leaking from the tap (Yes, it is closed). The bit that rotates is malformed, the water finds its way around the closed portion of the cylinder and out of the open bit, could also be the 'o' rings? poor design.
I added a tiny squirt of CO2 and it pi**ed out AND I also found a tiny leak on the rubber washer to the barrel.
Not only that, but the top washer for the inlet deforms when you tighten it. - and if i dont tighten it - it leaks from here too.
And to make matters worse, when I add CO2 it comes out waaaay below freezing causing this same rubber washer to shrink instantly thus breaking the seal and the CO leaks out...back to square one.
What is the point of a pressure barrel if it can't hold pressure. I'm taking this one back to the shop as faulty. Can anyone suggest a different brand or design features to look out for next time.
Thanks in advance.

I've had the same issues the kegs are cheap and as a result so are the taps I have both a youngs and wilko keg they are are virtually identical. I have had the same problem with both the taps leaking, cracking at the threads. I do believe it is a combination of cheap product and me over tightening the tap. It I could located a better quality tap my problems will disappear. I am quite happy with the basic quality and design of the kegs it just the tap which is the weak point.

Back