Youngs pear cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breenoefc13

Reaction score
We'll i have just finished my first homebrew which was the youngs lager that came with the kit,
and I've bought a youngs pear cider kit which i am ready to start soon.

Is there any differences from brewing lager that i should know about? or any advice on brewing cider?

Thanks in advance

it's usually slower to ferment, and it'll need some ageing usually to taste decent. a few months and it'll be enjoyable. :thumb:

if you want to improve the quality, throw a few litres of apple juice in.

I have just tasted my attempt at this cider (my first ever brew), I bottled it about 3 weeks ago after 10 days in the fv. The taste, at present is OK at best - its very fizzy and tastes very thin and almost watery. My questions are:

1. What did I do wrong? 2. Will the taste improve in a few more weeks? and 3. If not, Is there anything I can do now to improve it?

Wish I had read this thread before I made it, reference 'add a few litres of apple juice' etc.

Thanks for any advice

Trev

In my relatively little experience, I will say that with any homebrew, it is better after aging. Patience is the largest and most expensive ingredient.

Leave it alone for a few months as stated and it will only get better.

Try the WOW variants for quick supplies and brew more than you can drink, assuming you like wine that is or you might try what Ive once done which is make the basic wine number 1 with an extra litre of apple juice per gallon but then diluted 50/50 with boiled water which made a 6 ish% cider type drink. Palletable and easy to drink from the FV.

Experiment and be proud of all you make. This forum has a wealth of knowledge and as I have seen, no question is a stupid one, however, time is the best thing.

Hope this may help you.

Thanks very much for your reply Mutley; I will leave in the bottles in the cool garage for a while and see how it progresses!

I was looking at the original WOW to try next actually, hoping to make a wine for the Christmas period (I'm not too late am I?). I have read a few of the threads on here and will follow them accurately for now; I may try the variants after that if all goes well.

Thanks again

Trev

Latest posts

Back