Something bed on my beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onemanorthree

Reaction score
Beer in the fermenter for two weeks.
Checked it about a week ago and nothing floating except the dry hops. Went to bottle it last night and was amazed to see this scum floating on top.

Beer smells and tastes fine. No smell from the fermented beer at all.

Any idea what this is?

Second image is under a microscope

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1423412646361.jpg

Img00008.jpg

If it tastes and smells fine just rack from below into another FV on bottling day perhaps leaving a bit more trub/beer behind than you usually would. Then bottle/keg as normal.

If you want to find out what it actually is, google image 'infection in fermenter home brew' or something similar. I'm not saying it actually is an infection but that will get you the right hits. Then just compare your 'something' to the images and clik on the websites of the ones that look similar

Yeah, seem sot be a small infection. I had moved it to a conditioning tank and
then added Camden tables and bottled. Hopefully it'll b ok.

Adding camden tablet will kill the infection but will also kill the yeast. If you've bottled it won't now carbonate as the yeast is dead - unless you added some more yeast when you bottled.

Oh,I didnt know that. I've done it with pretty much my last 10 beers and didn't see any lack of carbonation

I also have a infection of what I susepect is mould on a brew. When I read up on what to do I read that campden tablets will kill the infection but also kill the yeast.

Having looked into it a bit more, it seems campden tablet wont kill the yeast, just slow it down a bit - sorry my bad :oops:

btw - at what stage do you add the campden tablets your statement implies you added them after fermentation

Back