Wanted: Oatmeal Stout recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebridesRob

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone have an Oatmeal Stout recipe they've used and are happy with? If it helps to narrow things down a bit I have Fuggles and Northern Brewer hops; Pale, Mild, Crystal, Chocolate and Black Malt. All the grains will go into the mash, I will try steeping but I want a reference point first.

I've designed a provisional recipe but I'd prefer to use something that has worked. :thumb:

Funnily enough I've been looking for one since someone gave me the idea the other day.

I found one in the Greg Hughes book. if you don't have it, it's worth getting for £3 on Amazon (or it used to be, not checked now). I'm going to do that. So not tried and tested in one sense but his recipes are pretty good and most people use the book at some point.

I'm probably breaking some copyright law by typing it up but if you don't have the book or don't want to buy it let me know and I'll write it up, he gets enough publicity on here!

Funnily enough I've been looking for one since someone gave me the idea the other day.

I found one in the Greg Hughes book. if you don't have it, it's worth getting for £3 on Amazon (or it used to be, not checked now). I'm going to do that. So not tried and tested in one sense but his recipes are pretty good and most people use the book at some point.

I'm probably breaking some copyright law by typing it up but if you don't have the book or don't want to buy it let me know and I'll write it up, he gets enough publicity on here!

No, I agree with you, copyright has a reason. I've seen plenty of recipes but they're all slightly different, I just wanted a tried and tested one because of that. The book is still £3.00, I've put it into my shopping list, ty.

It's nicked from another website. And don't think whoever brewed it ever fed back on the results?

Thanks, I did see that thread when I searched the forum but I rejected because I didn't see a recipe (5th post down - call me an idiot).

Anyway, going to brew my recipe, Which I was nervous of because of the amount of Black Malt I put in. Your "Black Sabbath" recipe inspired me because the amounts of roast malt aren't totally dissimilar. Anyway, what's the worse that can happen? It isn't exactly a life or death decision is it (Saying that, originally had it at 10% Black Malt so bottled out there)?

Batch size = 15 litres, 75% efficiency (jury still out on this), OG= 1.055.

Pale Malt: 3kg (73%)
Oats, Flaked: 325g (8%)
Black Malt: 325g (8%)
Crystal Malt (100L): 250g (6%)
Low Colour Chocolate Malt: 200g (5%)

25g Fuggles
15g Northern Brewer

Can you advise on the yeast? I very much need to educate myself about yeasts that are available nowadays.
Choice is between Mangrove Jack M10 Workhorse; Gervin G12; Safale SO4.

The recipe looks fine, will be good. Any of those yeasts would be ok, not used workhorse meself but would suit. I prefer Gervin in a stout to S04,personally cos S04 gives esters which I think clash in a stout, but others like it. Keep the yeast below 22 if you can. 20 is good.

The recipe looks fine, will be good. Any of those yeasts would be ok, not used workhorse meself but would suit. I prefer Gervin in a stout to S04,personally cos S04 gives esters which I think clash in a stout, but others like it. Keep the yeast below 22 if you can. 20 is good.

Great. Gervin it is. Shouldn't be a problem keeping below 22 given my location :D. Grains already weighed out and mixed together. 30 litres water boiled & cooling, treated with a teensy bit of Sodium Metabisulphite (for Chlorine). All ready for tomorrow.

Great. Gervin it is. Shouldn't be a problem keeping below 22 given my location :D. Grains already weighed out and mixed together. 30 litres water boiled & cooling, treated with a teensy bit of Sodium Metabisulphite (for Chlorine). All ready for tomorrow.

Are you doing the SS oatmeal stout? http://www.brew365.com/beer_ss_oat.php

I've done that one. Tasted quite nice but after making It I decided I didn't like oatmeal stout. Oats add a creamy mouthfeel but they also add some sweetness and I prefer my stout much drier.

Anything but the workhorse! I have it in a bitter at the mo. The taste is fine but it's like pea soup. It's about as flucctuant as a cloud (also didn't help I forgot the irish moss)

Well, here it is....

As you can see it's a bit stronger than expected. I really do worry about my hydrometer.

Stout sample 16 July.jpg

Oatmeal stout 16 July.jpg

Are you doing the SS oatmeal stout? http://www.brew365.com/beer_ss_oat.php

I've done that one. Tasted quite nice but after making It I decided I didn't like oatmeal stout. Oats add a creamy mouthfeel but they also add some sweetness and I prefer my stout much drier.

Anything but the workhorse! I have it in a bitter at the mo. The taste is fine but it's like pea soup. It's about as flucctuant as a cloud (also didn't help I forgot the irish moss)

Well, thanks for the warning! Since I bought the stuff' & I'm not throwing it away, I think I'll use it with this brew. If I'm going to have a beer that has trouble clearing it might as well be a black one.

Well, thanks for the warning! Since I bought the stuff' & I'm not throwing it away, I think I'll use it with this brew. If I'm going to have a beer that has trouble clearing it might as well be a black one.

Took a gravity sample today (am also bottling) and it's cleared a bit but not a lot. It also has a high attenuation (82% in this brew) which is good for my session dry stout but I like low abv/OG beers and it drys em out/leaves too little body. I'm going to swap to US-05 (as well as possibly S0-04) for my summer brewing yeast as they both have a temp tolerance of 25C and lower attenuation. I'm not keen on it and wouldn't use it again.

Took a gravity sample today (am also bottling) and it's cleared a bit but not a lot. It also has a high attenuation (82% in this brew) which is good for my session dry stout but I like low abv/OG beers and it drys em out/leaves too little body. I'm going to swap to US-05 (as well as possibly S0-04) for my summer brewing yeast as they both have a temp tolerance of 25C and lower attenuation. I'm not keen on it and wouldn't use it again.

Sounds like it won't suit me either. The yeasts I bought were a bit random since I didn't know much about them. I just plumped for some ale yeasts.

I just took a sample of my stout to see how it's progressing and I have to say it seems pretty good to me. Nice and dry, no estery tastes or smells. I'm thinking the Workhorse yeast was, perhaps, a good option for a relatively strong stout. Planning to bottle on Thursday. Gravity around 1.010 - 1.014 depending what side of the hydrometer I read. :-|

It's hard to make a bad stout in my experience. I have gravitated towards US05 for stouts, apart from the Black Sabbath, which uses the left field choice of Mauribrew Weiss yeast. You could put this yeast in any stout, or any ale - but it makes a huge difference. You get a very strong spicy flavour. Probably clove. I'm not very good at interpreting beer flavours. It works well in a stout, if you like the flavour. I might split the next stout and do half US05, half MB Weiss. I have both dans le frigo.

It's hard to make a bad stout in my experience. I have gravitated towards US05 for stouts, apart from the Black Sabbath, which uses the left field choice of Mauribrew Weiss yeast. You could put this yeast in any stout, or any ale - but it makes a huge difference. You get a very strong spicy flavour. Probably clove. I'm not very good at interpreting beer flavours. It works well in a stout, if you like the flavour. I might split the next stout and do half US05, half MB Weiss. I have both dans le frigo.

I will use the 05, definitely. Just felt like I should balance the previous comments on the workhorse yeast.

So, I've opened the first one and...

What can I say? Tastes like stout. The oats have done the job and added the silky mouth feel. The bitterness is about right for my taste. There's a straightforward flavour, just the high-roast coffee characteristic of Black Malt. The yeast has left a dry, clean tasting beer. I like it but will try Weiss yeast next time, just to ring the changes.

Latest posts

Back