Sweet/desert stout recipe help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinky

Regular.
Reaction score
I've been doing all grain for a few years now but mostly brew IPA or Lagers... I want to dip my toes into the whole sweet desert type stouts, chocolate marshmallow type thing! I also have nearly a kg of brambles in the freezer that I wanted to use.
So recipe, 250g of lactose? A few teaspoons of vanilla extract? Mostly pale with a little chocolate and medium and dark crystal?
Does this sound along the right lines? As I say, I've never made a stout but really enjoy things like brewdog layercake (which I couldn't find the recipe for on DIY Dog)

I've struggled to get marshmallow flavour into a beer. My recipe calls for it to go in the last 10 minutes of the boil. I end up with a beautiful stout (500g lactose) but not a hint of marshmallow. My recipe uses Golden Promise as the base, chocolate, roasted barley, flaked oats and crystal 240. The next time I make it I'm going to swap the marshmallow for peanut butter (PB2) but am looking at the best way to make sure the flavour comes through.

You would probably need to go down the artificial flavouring road to impart marshmallow. Even the pro breweries seem to struggle with marshmallow flavoured beers. Think I have only tried one that I thought nailed it. It was a brown ale by Manchester Marble.

This is the drink that introduced me to not drinking lagers and ultimately to take up the hobby of brewing, so I have a soft spot (geddit?) for this.

Tiny Rebel Stay Puft Porter

They even give you a hint to the recipe

1678979076694.png

Marshmallow is ot really a flavour though is it? Is it not vanilla....

Latest posts

Back