Gold Standard Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Doing this tommorow

Gold Standard Bitter (Standard/Ordinary Bitter) 29L

Original Gravity (OG): 1.039 (°P): 9.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 3.83 %
Colour (SRM): 7.1 (EBC): 14.0
Bitterness (IBU): 25.1 (Tinseth)

Maris Otter Malt 4.66kg
Medium Crystal 252g

11.2g East Kent Golding (5.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
8.7g First Gold (7.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
16.3g Tettnanger (3.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
9.2g East Kent Golding (5.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
7.1g First Gold (7.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
9.2g East Kent Golding (5.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
7.1g First Gold (7.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
12.6 East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
12.6 First Gold (7.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with US-05

I'm actually going to make hop tea added at bottling time for the 0 min additions rather than steeping.

I'm also going to use bottled water to try ang get some sort of base line of what my bitters should be tasting like when I strip bicarbonates using CRS

Doing this tommorow

EKG/FG Bitter (Standard/Ordinary Bitter) 29L

Maris Otter Malt 4.66kg
Medium Crystal 252g

I'm actually going to make hop tea added at bottling time for the 0 min additions rather than steeping.

I'm also going to use bottled water to try ang get some sort of base line of what my bitters should be tasting like when I strip bicarbonates using CRS

Nice, I have those hops so may get round to something similar, though my bitters are generally a bit below par.

What's with the cheeky tettnang at 60m? Not a typical bitter hop I'd have though?

What's with the cheeky tettnang at 60m? Not a typical bitter hop I'd have though?

As a Maxi BIAB I make a concentrated wort then dilute it in the FV. You don't get quite as good hop utilisation in concentrated wort so I always add an extra 5 IBU to whatever I'm making (some maxi biabers don't bother to do this but I've always found it worth while). After I did the initial FG/EGK receipe I didn't have enough FG or EKG left for the extra 5 IBU so I just used what was in my freezer - doubt the fact that it's tettnanger rather than a more tradional bittering hop will make much difference

Might be your water. Try making a bitter with bottled water

Water is my suspect as its a chalky taste and I've got hard water. Going to try some adjustments when those cheeky lab monkeys at murphys send me my report

Water is my suspect as its a chalky taste and I've got hard water. Going to try some adjustments when those cheeky lab monkeys at murphys send me my report

I've got hard water too - 188ppm last time I tested it. Fortunately for me I mostly make/like dark beers and my 'Peckham Spring' water is great for these style so needs no adjustments (other than a half a campden tab). But I do like to make the occasion Bitter so need to strip the bicarbonates out using CRS or like I'm doing this time just using bottled water

Doing this tommorow

EKG/FG Bitter (Standard/Ordinary Bitter) 29L

Maris Otter Malt 4.66kg
Medium Crystal 252g

That looks lovely mate, I may pinch that recipe if you don't mind.

That looks lovely mate, I may pinch that recipe if you don't mind.

That'll be five pounds please :whistle:

Seriously though the IBU is actually only 20. As mentioned I added 5 IBU for lower hop utilisation due to boiling the hops in concentrated wort. I'm not much of a hop head and went for a IBU/OG balance of about 0.5 which is about the same as Doombar (according to the clone reciepe's I've seen on the interweb) . So you may want to up the balance a bit to something like 0.7 it you like your bitters a bit more bitter

I've got hard water too - 188ppm last time I tested it. Fortunately for me I mostly make/like dark beers and my 'Peckham Spring' water is great for these style so needs no adjustments (other than a half a campden tab). But I do like to make the occasion Bitter so need to strip the bicarbonates out using CRS or like I'm doing this time just using bottled water
Mines something like 280ppm so Ill be diluting the CRS with the water I think.

Hard water's good for dark beers but I've just had one of me stouts and even that had a slightly chalky taste if you look for it.

I also suspect I'm placing too much faith in water treatment to transform my beer, when it's really my crappy brewing that's the problem!

Hard water's good for dark beers but I've just had one of me stouts and even that had a slightly chalky taste if you look for it.

I also suspect I'm placing too much faith in water treatment to transform my beer, when it's really my crappy brewing that's the problem!

But your water is super hard so will need some bicarbonate reduction even for dark beer. From the brewpaks site, stouts need an Alkalinity of between 100-150ppm. My water is188ppm, but I think I get away with it, but yours of around 280ppm is way too hard, even for dark beers. No wonder your beers taste chalky

http://www.brupaks.com/water%20treatment.htm

Another enjoyable brewday. My concentrated wort is in the no chill cube (my old coopers FV) and Ill do the 15 and 5 min flavour additions as well as pitch the yeast tomorrow.

My Grist is copied from the London Bitter from GH's book but the 'Brewer's Tip' version where he suggests using only 200g of crystal (for 23L) and add 30g of Chocolate instead for colour. I forgot to add the Chocolate to my receipe in brewmate and consequently my actual brew. So it'll be lighter in colour than it should be but the flavour shouldn't be effected

Another enjoyable brewday. My concentrated wort is in the no chill cube (my old coopers FV) and Ill do the 15 and 5 min flavour additions as well as pitch the yeast tomorrow.

My Grist is copied from the London Bitter from GH's book but the 'Brewer's Tip' version where he suggests using only 200g of crystal (for 23L) and add 30g of Chocolate instead for colour. I forgot to add the Chocolate to my receipe in brewmate and consequently my actual brew. So it'll be lighter in colour than it should be but the flavour shouldn't be effected

Shame you missed the chocolate, that would have added a nice twist.

My next brew is going to be an Irish Red, well red anyway, just because I want to brew something red rather than pale or black. Probably going to spend next week worrying about whether to just use roasted barley, or use a bit of crystal or use a lot of crystal :hmm:

I swear by lidl water, almost no minerals and 17p for two litres. Last time I stocked up I got 128 litres (just over a tenner) and the woman in front asked I knew something she didn't :)

Shame you missed the chocolate, that would have added a nice twist.

My next brew is going to be an Irish Red, well red anyway, just because I want to brew something red rather than pale or black. Probably going to spend next week worrying about whether to just use roasted barley, or use a bit of crystal or use a lot of crystal :hmm:

Nothing stopping you using both crystal an RB. The reciepe for irish red in my GH book uses both

Nothing stopping you using both crystal an RB. The reciepe for irish red in my GH book uses both

Yep, it does, but the BJCP guide says that historically they sometimes stuck to roasted or black malt as it was cheaper.

I'm probably going to err towards GH style as I think it will be more rounded.

Or will I ?

:hmm:

This is my local water report, total hardness is 257, which is way above the 150 you mentioned myqul.

Might as well be brewing with Cif (bathroom cleaner formerly known as Jif).

Did your brew day work out ok?

Edit, I ham fistedly have the volume control showing over the numbers...

image.jpg

This is my local water report, total hardness is 257, which is way above the 150 you mentioned myqul.

Might as well be brewing with Cif (bathroom cleaner formerly known as Jif).

Did your brew day work out ok?

Edit, I ham fistedly have the volume control showing over the numbers...

You might want to get a salifert test kit and test your water my online report says my water is a total harndness of 255 but the last time I tested it, it was 188

Brew day went smoothly no mistakes/forgetting stuff like whirlfloc did the second part of brew day, the flavour hop additions and pitching the yeast, today. It's all tucked up in my brew bag now with a couple of ice bottles to get it down to 18C

Latest posts

Back