1.083 OG = no starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasementArtie

Reaction score
I tend to use dry yeast because I can't be assed to make a starter for higher gravity beers and the outcomes are pretty good still so I never really gave it much thought.

However I've just see the brulosophy pitched a single pouch of Imperial Capri at 19C in wort with an OG of 1.083. Brü It Yourself | Good Intentions Double IPA I've seen them pitch single pouches in 1.070 plus before thinking that's pushing it however this got me thinking if it's now deemed okay to pitch a single pouch in higher gravity brews then I may switch across and give it a try.

What are your thoughts?
And what do you think the upper limit OG a single pouch could be?

I wouldnt take the chance of paying for liquid yeast then not sacrificing 10pg of DME to avoid making a batch of bad beer

There's no technical upper limit to OG (unless you basically get to connected sugar solution that is not realistic in beer making). Throw yeast in and it will start converting. Higher OG worts may end up with a higher FG if using a single packet rather than 2, but it's a sliding scale.

I just use dried yeast. For a high gravity brew like you're doing, I would just Chuck in two sachets of dried yeast instead of liquid. Both work though, and some prefer liquid and some prefer dried.

I wouldn't contradict your preference for dried yeasts. I'm beginning to tire of the extra work (and expense) of liquid yeasts that more times than not completely fail to meet expectations. You should never bother with a starter for dried yeast*, just add an extra pack if concerned. Some dried yeast shouldn't be pitched into high gravity wort, especially those coming in under-sized packs (10g); throw a second pack at the job. But a recently created dried yeast (11.5g and only a handful of months old) should cope with a relatively high gravity wort. ("Relatively high", I wouldn't risk it with a very high gravity wort - 1.080 seems higher than I'd dare).

*Dried yeast is created with a surplus of element to see it through fermentation. If you create a starter with little access to oxygen you may end up with yeast in worse shape than when it was added to the starter.

*Dried yeast is created with a surplus of element to see it through fermentation. If you create a starter with little access to oxygen you may end up with yeast in worse shape than when it was added to the starter.
I've never created a starter anyway as that's just too much effort than I'm prepared for. However I have rehydrated yeast on occasion. Would say that's fine or would just forgo that and throw the second pack straight in.

There's no technical upper limit to OG (unless you basically get to connected sugar solution that is not realistic in beer making). Throw yeast in and it will start converting. Higher OG worts may end up with a higher FG if using a single packet rather than 2, but it's a sliding scale.

I just use dried yeast. For a high gravity brew like you're doing, I would just Chuck in two sachets of dried yeast instead of liquid. Both work though, and some prefer liquid and some prefer dried.
I have used two packs in the past however I'm looking to save money sometimes. Does rehydrating the yeast increase the OG that it would work well on?

Or could I just buy a cheaper neutral yeast like Nottingham or the Wilko yeast which is like Nottingham and pair that with my Verdant dry yeast for an IPA or should I use two of the same yeast?

I think it used to be the case that pitching dried yeast without rehydrating it resulted in the loss of some of the viable yeast but modern processes have significantly improved that outcome so there’s not much difference.

If you under (or over) pitch the yeast you can also change the fermentation characteristics and get different flavour profiles. In under-pitching you risk longer lag times, higher FG, and more esters than maybe you wanted. Ove-pitching can result in a beer that has no character.

Does rehydrating the yeast increase the OG that it would work well on?
No-one is exactly sure anymore, and it may vary depending on yeast, wort etc. Conventional wisdom was that rehydrating in water first less to healthier yeast, but recent advice from the yeast manufacturers is that it isn't necessary.
Or could I just buy a cheaper neutral yeast like Nottingham or the Wilko yeast which is like Nottingham and pair that with my Verdant dry yeast for an IPA or should I use two of the same yeast?
Two of the same yeast is simpler. Mix yeasts and you'll get a mixture of their fermentation characteristics. When doing high OG Belgians, I use two packs of the same yeast

Back