2 Roller Malt Mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really rate my 2 roller mill. I built a new circular base for it as the one it came with didn't fit over a bucket very securely. I like being able to adjust the crush down to almost flour for my BIAB set up.

I also like being able to store uncrushed grain which I believe keeps better. I just used some old crystal malt that said it was BBF 2017 so probably purchased in 2016. I tasted it before using in the brew and it was fine. I can't believe it would last that long crushed.

You do need a decent bit of torque to drive the rollers if you are using a very fine crush. It's easier with a standard crush but my bog standard corded drill couldn't hack it on a very fine crush.

My three roller mill, from The Malt Miller, doesn't need an SDS drill or an adapter. I just use a big standard DeWalt cordless drill.

My two roller barleycrusher can be driven by hand, but I use my standard Makita cordless drill. No need for an SDS drill.

That should have been a "bog" standard drill. It's no bigger than many other drills. The three roller mill comes with a handle so can be driven manually, but I have never tried it.

It's possible to "just drive" it with any drill, but for consistent and literally dust free results you need that low rpm and high torque.

It's possible to "just drive" it with any drill, but for consistent and literally dust free results you need that low rpm and high torque.
I used to hand crank the mill, which is much slower than any drill. I never had "dust free" results. The amount of dust/flour didn't change when I changed from hand cranking to using the drill
Condition the grain helps the output and reduces dust.
Conditioning the grain _did_ make a huge difference

Latest posts

Back