2 Roller Malt Mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slight increase in efficiency may be, but storage nah. Tested and couldn't prove.

For the money, buy you specialities when you need them. Much cheaper that a crush.

.. And a more accurate crush.
Some all-in-one machines can get quite fussy about crush size.

Different folks different strokes...

Another thing to consider is how long your supplier has had it in stock crushed. I know the Malt Miller crushes on the day it is dispatched but there are suppliers out there who only sell crushed grain so you will never know how long it has been crushed. Last brew I needed a small amount of black malt which I used from a bag probably around a year old. If any supplier will sell you 25gms of black malt I think you will pay a premium for the weighing. At the moment I have about 18 specialty malts in stock and I like being able to decide what to brew a few days before knowing I should have what I need in stock.

.. And a more accurate crush.
Some all-in-one machines can get quite fussy about crush size.
Actually, with a decent mill you can dial in your crush better than buying a crushed malt with a generic crush (or 1 of 3 crush options).

Hi PPL,

I have seen a two-roller malt mill on the malt millers website for £82. is it any good or worth buying?

You need a good SDS drill + adaptor to drive it(low rpm, high torque). If you don't already have a drill, you're better off with the Grainfather mill, it was in deal during the Easter weekend.

You need a good SDS drill + adaptor to drive it(low rpm, high torque). If you don't already have a drill, you're better off with the Grainfather mill, it was in deal during the Easter weekend.
My three roller mill, from The Malt Miller, doesn't need an SDS drill or an adapter. I just use a big standard DeWalt cordless drill.

My three roller mill, from The Malt Miller, doesn't need an SDS drill or an adapter. I just use a big standard DeWalt cordless drill.
My two roller barleycrusher can be driven by hand, but I use my standard Makita cordless drill. No need for an SDS drill.

I bought a simple 2 roller mill a few years ago, fairly simple affair with an adjustable crush size. Defo worth the investment. I can buy in bulk (thus saving bagging fees for small amounts, and save future delivery fees by having the stock on hand) and use as needed over the months ahead. I can dial in whatever crush size i desire based on what I am crushing, and as many have said, just use my 10yr+ old dewalt cordless drill to drive it, although i have a handle as well.. only takes a few mins to crush enough for a 5gallon batch and I know that its not been sat around for a long time in a crushed state. although i don't personally, you can easily double crush the grain by running it through a second time that i see some people do.

I bought a 2 roller mill a few years ago that was advertised on marketplace. Turns out it was from a brewer that was opening his own brewery local to me and resulted in a good friend and lots of free beer and cheap malt. And the mill is perfect for me as I can adjust to suit my own crush.
Pre crushed grain won’t keep as long once opened.

I buy crushed malt by the 25kg sack from a brewery supply. Once home I divide it into 4kg plastic airtight tubs. Never noticed any degradation in malt or taste. This also helps even out the flour/husk ratio that can settle unevenly.

Back