2012 National Homebrew Competiton

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're working on the venue, trying to have enough space to socialize as well as have the competition.

It would be great this year if we could get more regional drop-off points so that it doesn't all have to go in the mail. Any volunteers?

Why is it always in bloody Bristol??. I would have to send entries well in advance to allow then to re settle and It's too far to attend and deliver in person so wont be entering again.

snail59 said:
Why is it always in bloody Bristol??. I would have to send entries well in advance to allow then to re settle and It's too far to attend and deliver in person so wont be entering again.

It's been in Bristol once before, so not exactly always.

It is being held there as the organizer is the same as last year, and Bristol has a very high concentration of people willing and able to judge and help with running the event.

The delivery window gives plenty if time for settling, and it's hoped that people might step up as regional collection points.

alikocho said:
snail59 said:

It's been in Bristol once before, so not exactly always.

Ive only been brewing two years so it has always been in Bristol as long as ive been brewing :lol: :lol:

I'ts to far for me to travel and as im not in it just for the glory I only enter events I can attend.

Well it has been in London, then Derby, followed by Skipton, and now Bristol, I guess that is the problem with a 'National' competition no matter where you hold it it is too far for someone . . . But the AHA seems to manage in the US . . . even when they hold it in Alaska :shock:

As Ali has said, we are hoping to set up drop off points throughout the country (hopefully CBA members will be willing) and I am also hoping that maybe some LHBS will act as drop off / courier collection points.

As for settling this is one of the issues that face all beers, and was one of the great advantages of holding it at Skipton in the Copper Kettle Brewery . . .They had enough space to take beers in from up to a month in advance (IIRC) Still something (else) to think about

I have no complaints at all about last years competition but am slightly surprised if it is being run in exactly the same way as last year.

Holding it in Bristol again this year is not really a problem, but, I think next years competition needs to start being discussed now so we can decide what is wanted and start getting a team together to organise and run it.

richc said:
I have no complaints at all about last years competition but am slightly surprised if it is being run in exactly the same way as last year.

Holding it in Bristol again this year is not really a problem, but, I think next years competition needs to start being discussed now so we can decide what is wanted and start getting a team together to organise and run it.

We're planning to do things slightly differently this year, not least with regard to having a social event and possibly some seminars running.

A few people have asked me, and although it should be apparent from the website, this competition is the CBA National event.

It is likely that CBA members will get subsidized entry to the competition.

I can now confirm that the venue for the National will be The Annexe at St Werburghs Community Centre. We have the space booked provisionally from 8am til 10pm. Setup from 8, judging will begin at 9.30am. Lunch for Judges, Stewards and staff around noon. Awards and social from 4pmish.

The space will be divided into two during judging (soundproof divider). One space will be where judging takes place (entry only to judges, stewards and competition staff), and the other will be a hang-out zone with a homebrew stocked 'bar' (kegs or bottles) and stalls run by sponsors. Beer will not be paid for, but may ONLY be consumed in 'festival' glasses (kindly sponsored by the Malt Miller). All competition entrants, judges, stewards and staff will be provided with glasses on the day. Additional glasses (for guests etc) may be purchased on the day. It is anticipated that there will be food available on the day.

Map here: http://g.co/maps/juhfr

A short distance from 3 of Bristol's microbreweries, a 7 minute walk from Stapleton Road Station (6 minutes from Temple Meads), 30 minute walk from Bristol Temple Meads, just of the M32 (street parking), served by bus routes 5 and 25. Three decent local pubs, nearby cafes, park and even a city farm and a short walk to the main shopping centre, hotels etc, useful if you want to do something else in Bristol or if you're bringing people not so interested in beer!

Over 50 people have already registered on the site, people have already entered beer, and there are some great pro-brewers coming to help with judging! Stay tuned for what looks set to be an awesome competition with some staggering prizes, great beer and great people!

Back