UK National Homebrew Competition 2013 - Oxford

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alikocho

Reaction score
The UK National Homebrew Competition for 2013 will take place on the weekend of 14/15 September in Oxford.

The location has been chosen as it seemed that the competition needed to move from Bristol after being held there for the last two years, there was a group of people who are willing to act as local coordinators, and it is relatively more accessible for the concentrations of UK BJCP judges we have at present.

There will be several rule changes this year in order to deal with an anticipated large number of entries and based on the experience of last year:

All beer must have been dropped off or received by mail by the closing date. Judges and Stewards will NOT be able to bring entries on the day.

Brewers may enter ONE beer per subcategory (you may still enter multiple beers in a category - i.e. entering 14A, 14B and 14C is allowed. Entering more than one beer in 8B is not).

Registration is open at http://www.nationalhomebrewcompetition.org.uk

Note the changes for this year. All have been made to make the competition more manageable and the day more enjoyable for all.

Brewers may enter ONE beer per subcategory (you may still enter multiple beers in a category - i.e. entering 14A, 14B and 14C is allowed. Entering more than one beer in 8B is not). This applies to all categories EXCEPT 23 (Specialty Beer), where brewers may enter NO MORE THAN THREE beers.

The custom category of New Zealand Pale Ales will not be offered this year. Uptake was not significant enough. Beers that use New Zealand hops should be entered in category 23.

The entry window closes TWO WEEKS before the competition, and ALL beer must be in the week before (and local drop-offs need to get it to the main site prior to the day). No beer to be entered in the competition may be brought on the day by judges or stewards.

Entries are limited to 500. Once 500 entries have been reached, no further entries can be registered. We expect to hit this cap fairly quickly.

Less than three months to go!

The venue is set, and there are details on the competition site.

Entries are coming in, but remember that there is a cap of 500 entries and that your entries are only guaranteed if they have been paid for (the system will keep collecting "unconfirmed" entries).

I'm already excited!

Ran an update to fix some of the issues that some users were having. Currently experiencing bigger problems with the site not loading.

Working to get it back up.

All data has been backed up so nothing will be lost.

godfrey said:
need any judges ?

500+ free beers!

lol I'm down for some of that :cheers:

I do need judges. But I need judges who have some sort of standing as a judge - BJCP, NGWBJ, Pro Brewer, Industry professional. With a competition like this, we can't just take anybody (we've had bad experiences in the past, and I had to eject one judge).

There's also the coming along for the social aspect though, and stewarding.

......the deadline for entries is August 31. However, the site will lock once there are 500 paid entries (payment before this poitn guarantees your entry gets in).

Time is running out!

site is very flakey.
uploaded first beer but can't print and now can't get back into the site to log rest of my entries :cry:

mixale said:
site is very flakey.
uploaded first beer but can't print and now can't get back into the site to log rest of my entries :cry:

I ran an update to try to resolve these issues, and it killed the whole site :cry:

I suggest trying a different browser, and see if that helps.

Still cannot load the home page - http://www.nationalhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/
or the http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Deleted cookies, browsing history and cache etc etc.
Tried both Chrome and IE8

Chrome returns this message - Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk
Try reloading: www.­bristolhomebrewc­ompetition.­org.­uk

IE just the usual Cannot display this page.....

Anymore suggestions? :pray:

still got same problems on second pc even rebooted router but no luck.

am I right in thinking the judging is on the Sat morning ?
In which case what time are the doors open to the 'punters', just so that I can work out my travel arrangements for early doors.
cheers
hb

As it says on the site:

The judging floor will be closed to all except judges, stewards and organizers. The announcement of results, awards ceremony and raffle will be open to the public, starting at around 4 p.m. Entry will be free.

The intention is that the remaining beer be shared at the prize giving and in a social event afterwards. Bottles remaining from judging will be made available and entrants attending the award are invited to bring additional samples of their entries to share with others.

Cononthebarber said:
That's my entries registered and paid today :thumb:

I know it says glass bottles but will PET's definitely not be accepted?

It says glass.

I will allow 500ml amber pet bottles, but would rather not have them. And if you submit in plastic, be prepared for judges comments about beer being better presented in glass.

Latest posts

Back