3 gallons in a 5 gallon demijohn

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fubblechunk

Reaction score
Hi hive mind,

This bank holiday we wen't out and picked 9kg of damsons which are currently soaking in water extracting their juice.

The aim is to make 3 demijohns worth of wine but I'm curious, can I use a 5 gallon demijohn for the secondary fermentation?

The idea behind this is I don't really want to do too much cleaning and sterilising of individual jars for this stage.

Once the initial fermentation has finished I plan to rack into the 5 gallon demijohns for secondary fermentation.

My thoughts are that the spare space will be filled with carbon dioxide so this shouldn't be a problem.

Once the secondary fermentation has finished or nearing finishing I plan to rack into individual gallon demijohns with an air lock before a final racking and storing before bottling.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

I agree with Vinotinto it should be fine

I clear my wines in a pressure barrel and often it's only 2/3 full and I've never had a problem. Another advantage with this is because of the valve in the lid it's completely sealed but if for any reason it starts to ferment again the pressure can escape.

Thanks both, I'm adding the yeast and sugar this weekend though it looks like it's naturally started fermenting already.

If it goes well I might even write a post :thumb:

Back