50w fish tank heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love6060

Reaction score
hi guys,

today i brought a 50w fish tank heater.

looking on the box it says temp range is between 16 and 34 deg, take it out of the box it says 20 to 34 deg.
does anyone thing this will be an issue?

also what size storage contain should i get and will any type do, i don't want it melting on me!

I have one like that, an eBay special, it controls quite well at the set temperature.

But if you are going to use it in a fermenter you would need to be sure that the FV is WELL insulated.

Atb. Aamcle

aamcle said:
I have one like that, an eBay special, it controls quite well at the set temperature.

But if you are going to use it in a fermenter you would need to be sure that the FV is WELL insulated.

Atb. Aamcle

Got mine from pets at home!
Intend on using it in a water bath.

Just unsure on the best and safest type to go for!

I got one from ebay and it works very well in a water bath. 27c ish for 21c and 24 ish for 18-19. I just kept checking the temp for the first 24 hours and adjusting accordingly.

Bought a cheapie 25W aquarium heater off ebay last week. FV in a storage box filled with water, heater in it set at 20c and it seems to be a nice constant 20c. I don't have a thermometer in the FV but I am assuming it is going to be about the same as the water in the bath. I also have a very old sleeping bag draped over the top for a little insulation.

I bought one of these last year seems to work well so far, depending on what I'm brewing
I have it set between 20-24c
Its called Aqua one 55w and cost 20 quid (comes with 3 year warrant too)

Back when i lived in a house with no central heating i used one at the bottom of an 80 litre rubbish bin (with a lid). The FV was in the bin resting on some bricks, the heater was under the FV, between the bricks and filled with water. It worked well but i had to set it a bit higher as the room temperature was so low.

supersteve said:
I have to set mine to about 25 Degrees to get it up to about 20/21 degrees.

That is exactly like my 200w heaters!
plus all the numbers have now rubbed off so it's a lottery!

I've got a 100w one from ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321295008206? ... 1439.l2649), my fv sits in a big black storage container from Ikea.
I opted for the 100w one because my utility room has no heating & it gets pretty chilly out there (great for conditioning).
I set it a few degrees higher than I want my brew, turns it's self on and off when needed. I'm happy with it.

Can anyone suggest which is better in a fermenting fridge - the FV in a water bath with an aquarium heater in the water bath, or a tubular heater (eg http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Heating ... 168/p32265)?

I have an under-counter freezer that I'm intending to convert for fermenting, and I already have the STC1000 for temp control, but I'm stuck on which type of heater to buy. Any suggestions on what heat output the heater should be too? Is a 60W tube heater or a 50-100W aquarium heater enough given that it's a small freezer so it will only ever have 1 FV inside, or would I be better off getting a slightly bigger heater? After all, the STC1000 will turn the heater on/off, so surely a bigger heater will react quicker if the temp drops too low? Or is it better to have a smaller heater to reduce the temperature swings?

Beer@22 said:
Can anyone suggest which is better in a fermenting fridge - the FV in a water bath with an aquarium heater in the water bath, or a tubular heater (eg http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Heating ... 168/p32265)?

I have an under-counter freezer that I'm intending to convert for fermenting, and I already have the STC1000 for temp control, but I'm stuck on which type of heater to buy. Any suggestions on what heat output the heater should be too? Is a 60W tube heater or a 50-100W aquarium heater enough given that it's a small freezer so it will only ever have 1 FV inside, or would I be better off getting a slightly bigger heater? After all, the STC1000 will turn the heater on/off, so surely a bigger heater will react quicker if the temp drops too low? Or is it better to have a smaller heater to reduce the temperature swings?

Tube heater in a fermenting fridge will take up less space and would be easier than trying to put a water bath in a fridge :cheers:

Latest posts

Back