90 minute brewday - Raw beer - Kveik Hornindal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed my first raw ale today in 90 mins. REcipe was super simple. Went for 100% Maris Otter and went for a yellow balanced water profile on Beersmith. Did a small batch - 11L using the BIAB method. While the mash was happening, I boiled 12g of Magnum in 500ml of water for around 40 mins. This bitter hop tea was added to the wort at the end. Hoping for around 30 IBU. Did a 70c hop steep with 15g of EKG. No chill. O.G: 1.058 so should come in at aound 6%. Wort is in a corny keg now. Will pitch the yeast (Kveik Hornindal) in the morning and let it ride out. Will ferment under pressure when I see fermentation slowing down to carb it up. Will serve from the corny. Hoping it'll be ready to sample next weekend; Kveik is a fast mover after all. Have absolutely no idea what to expect but am keeping everything crossed. So damn simple!! All feels a bit 'too good to be true', though, if I'm honest... Fun to experiment all the same!

Anyone else given raw brewing a go? Any thoughts on what I did today?
Anyone fermented with Hornindal? What was your verdict if so?

Cheers!

Floyd

I made an attempt at Lithuanian Kaimiskas from the Garshol book a couple of years ago. It was the only one I think that didn't require juniper in quantity.
To be honest I found it much harder than normal brewing mostly because of the extra hygiene required. Also the recipe had quite a lot of hops so making a hop tea was far from simple.
The end result wasn't bad but had the raw taste I wasn't sure I liked, but others who tried it thought it was good. I used CML Kveik yeast.
Tempted to have another go

I've converted to raw ale brewing and have brewed 15 in the last year, maybe something in my mixed up dome foreseen the ridiculous price hype in energy costs 🤔
Recently I've started doing hop teas for aroma and taste and also for bittering, this is hard to balance out as any calculators don't really consider raw ale brewing or hop tea's.
For my tastes I prefer light hoppy session ales, raw ales seem to have more body and taste and I'll never go back.
Google 'brewing Nordic' as they have a brilliant guide on raw brewing and hop tea's, also David Heath has a good YouTube on raw ale brewing.
With regards to yeast, I'm only using dry US-05 at the moment as I buy the 500g packs.

G’day Floyd, Thats an interesting (brave) brew. I have used Sigmund Voss Kveik and that was a savage monster I still have the second vial from 2018! I look forward to hearing the results and Fg. Grain to glass in a week is as fast as the Russians brewed I used to work with.
Following picture of a Kveik shed party in Norway drinking a I week old beer, goodonya for trying but.

Attachments

• photoserv.py.jpeg
    photoserv.py.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
I brewed one a few years back. I just added hops to the start and end of the mash. Beersmith did a reasonable job of predicting the bitterness IIRC. I used Belle Saison.

I might do one again in late summer using Yarrow and juniper tips instead of hops.

Definitely giving this method a try as I have to squeeze brewing into not much time and use of the kitchen between meals, takes a lot of the timing critical stuff out of equation too (i.e. the hop addition timings)

I have worked real hard to reduce the amount of time I use to brew. Mainly with overnight mashing and then overnight chilling.

Raw beer does appeal, on taste alone and it does not have to be kveik yeast

I wonder if a cascade smash would work well? Just maris otter, cascade and Nottingham.?

I have worked real hard to reduce the amount of time I use to brew. Mainly with overnight mashing and then overnight chilling.

Raw beer does appeal, on taste alone and it does not have to be kveik yeast

I wonder if a cascade smash would work well? Just maris otter, cascade and Nottingham.?
I've done a smash with extra pale MO and Admiral hops, it was so good I'm experimenting with adding other base malts Vienna or Pils and cascade hop's

Lots of positive vibes on this!
Update: It only really started fermenting today. I should have made a starter. I just added the flakes on Monday morning. Hopefully 2 days at 27c and not much yeast activity hasn't allowed for anything else to take off in there...
I can't see it being ready for Saturday. Ah well. Wasn't a mad rush on. Just liked the idea of it.
Will update as the ferment goes on.

Update: It only really started fermenting today. I should have made a starter. I just added the flakes on Monday morning. Hopefully 2 days at 27c and not much yeast activity hasn't allowed for anything else to take off in there...
I can't see it being ready for Saturday. Ah well. Wasn't a mad rush on. Just liked the idea of it.
Did you use a yeast nutrient ? It’s very much needed with kveik and most say you don’t need a starter with it

Here we go then....

Cascade session ale

This is for 23l on a BM20.
Fill to top lugs on malt tube with water treated for to 80ppm. I use AMS from MM for the adjustment.

Overnight mash...
4kg maris otter
500g wheat malt.
67c mash 60m

Hop schedule.
45min boil
-30m 30g UK cascade pellets
-15m 40g cascade + protofloc
Then @85c add 50g cascade for 30mins.
Pump and heat on.
All hops out. Overnight chill

Yeast: CML midland (Nottingham) @ 19c

Bottle prime ½ tsp on day 7 no cold crash. Bottle from warm still @ 19c.
Maintain bottles @ 19c for 7 days.

Drink. Enjoy. Let me know if you need anything else.

How do I adjust a the hopping schedule to fit with no boil? Are there any rule of thumb ideas?

Or is there a 15mins boil option... Just enough for hot break and bittering and protofloc?

How do I adjust a the hopping schedule to fit with no boil? Are there any rule of thumb ideas?

Or is there a 15mins boil option... Just enough for hot break and bittering and protofloc?
This is from the Nordic brewing website;

Hop Tea for Raw Ales
Most raw ale brewers get their hop bitterness from hop tea. This means simply boiling the hops in a small amount of water instead of the full wort boil. This is my standard hop tea method:

Boil the hops in water for one hour and dump the tea into the mash with hops and all. Use one liter of water for 30 grams of hops (quart for an ounce of hops). If you use high-alpha hops, double the water volume.

Based purely on taste, I estimate that this method gives roughly half the bitterness of a typical full wort boil. I have gotten surprisingly consistent bitterness levels this way.

If you are the kind of person who likes formulas and calculations, you can be even more consistent by using this formula:

liters of water = grams of hops × hop alpha acid percentage / (30 × 5)

This formula takes into account that hop bitterness yield tends to decrease as the concentration of alpha acids increase. Hence you should increase the water volume not only per grams but also per alpha acid units. For example, if you have 30 grams of hops with 10 % AA, use two liters of water. When calculating bitterness for the hop tea method, I use a hop utilization value of 0.12.

Having what chance to think about raw beer, the idea begs the question why?

If its to improve the flavour it's worth the added faf of hop tea.

If its to reduce time spent on brewday. I really really get it really really really. But I have already removed "brewdays" altogether.

If its to save money on rising electricity. I understand but I calculated that at less than 2p per bottle saving. Easier reduce your boil time to 45mins or perhaps less. Modern modified grains will be fine with this & there's still time for hopping and kettle finings in light to medium beers.

If its to "let's have a go and see what happens". I am all in 😁. Probably next batch.

If its to improve the flavour it's worth the added faf of hop tea.

If its to reduce time spent on brewday. I really really get it really really really. But I have already removed "brewdays" altogether.

If its to save money on rising electricity. I understand but I calculated that at less than 2p per bottle saving. Easier reduce your boil time to 45mins or perhaps less. Modern modified grains will be fine with this & there's still time for hopping and kettle finings in light to medium beers.

If its to "let's have a go and see what happens". I am all in 😁. Probably next batch.
Well raw beer is traditional in some places and it doesn't taste the same as boiled beers at all. So worth doing for those 2 reasons alone.

I can't think of s single reason why, SO many reasons why not, good mashing and boiling are crucial to so many parts of brewing good beer. Starch conversions, flavour profiles, fermentation to name a few; that was why I am interested in the Fg. But, if its 55c free air temperature, you've been stuck in North Africa for 6 months well why not, or you're Norwegian just look at that week old beer!
But full marks to Floyd for giving it a crack but me thinks it will be sickly sweet beer.

Raw is a pretty misleading description as malted grain has already passed through a cooking process. So it all boils down to (pun intended) what type of grain profile you want. A bit like choosing between bread and toast. Sweetness can be contrasted with bitterness or acidity as with any other style of beer.

Latest posts

Back