A few noobie questions :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marrsy86

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im pretty new to this and have a few noobie questions of some of the terms user on the forum and would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction :)

1. I see the word "clove" in a number of recipies but what exactly is it reffering to ?
2. I worked out TC is Turbo Cider but does WOW mean Worzles Orange Wine as I cant find much else that matches.
3. I want to try my hand at some mead and would like to know if you think this honey would be ok as I have read some may not be suitable...

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258158216

Many thanks for anyhelp.

Marrsy.

Hi and welcome.

I can answer some questions for you.

You are coreect that TC is Turbo Cider and WOW is indeed Wurzels Orange Wine

There is a Glossary here glossary.php

A clove is a spice, you can get them in the herbs and spices section of all supermarkets.

I know nothing about making mead though, hopefully someone else does.

1. Are you sure you mean clove and not clone? A clove is a spice (or a segment of a garlic bulb, but I can't imagine many homebrew uses for that) and a clone is an attempt to replicate a commercial brew.

3. I'm not a mead expert either, but I have used clear ‘value’ honeys quite successfully.

As Mr. Mole says, it will work no doubt, but normally the better the ingredients the better the result ;)
Mead is often made from the wash water used to clean honey from the wax comb cappings. A fair few bee keepers throw this down the drain :( Mead is not everyones bag, so do you know any bee keepers. :)
May well be worth a trial with the value stuff to see how it goes.
My options / recommendations would be TC and WOW, after beer that is :lol: but it depends what you like to drink ?
S

Springer said:
As Mr. Mole says, it will work no doubt, but normally the better the ingredients the better the result ;)
Mead is often made from the wash water used to clean honey from the wax comb cappings. A fair few bee keepers throw this down the drain :( Mead is not everyones bag, so do you know any bee keepers. :)
May well be worth a trial with the value stuff to see how it goes.
My options / recommendations would be TC and WOW, after beer that is :lol: but it depends what you like to drink ?
S

I drink pretty much anything :) made TC allready and im going to try WOW this weekend. Think I will try the value honey while I ask around for beekeepers, I know a fair few people who own allotments and various things like that so with any luck they might be able to put me in touch with someone :)

Springer said:
1. Are you sure you mean clove and not clone? A clove is a spice (or a segment of a garlic bulb, but I can't imagine many homebrew uses for that) and a clone is an attempt to replicate a commercial brew.

I cant find the post now but im pretty sure it was said in various posts, I think one of them said a Clove of Cinnamon and guesses it might be a word for a stick of it, I might just be getting confused taking all this information in so quickly :p

Thanks for the help guys.

Sorry to bump the thread guys but I have two more questions and dont want to make a new thread.

1. When making 5 gallon batches is there much of a difference between using a 5 gallon Demijohn and a 5 gallon Fermenting Bucket with a lid, bung and airlock ?

2. Managed to venture into the Beer section of the forum and was wondering what AG means ? I checked the Forum Glossary but it doesnt seem to be listed. Its mensioned in this thread title for reference....
[url="http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=493"]viewtopic.php?f=30&t=493[/url]

Again many thanks for any help.

Marrsy

Marrsy86 said:
When making 5 gallon batches is there much of a difference between using a 5 gallon Demijohn and a 5 gallon Fermenting Bucket with a lid, bung and airlock ?
A 5 gallon demijohn is normally refered to as a "carboy"
If you are wishing to use an airlock, you will need to use the carboy as the bucket will not seal well enough to produce bubbles through the airlock.

Marrsy86 said:
Managed to venture into the Beer section of the forum and was wondering what AG means ? I checked the Forum Glossary but it doesnt seem to be listed
AG = All Grain.
The ultimate in home brew beer.
It is a faithful copy of how the breweries do it, but on a smaller scale.

Most start by buying a "kit" and then progress to brewing from malt extract and boiling hops.

Once you move over to the "dark side" there is no turning back!

Have fun. :thumb:

evanvine said:
If you are wishing to use an airlock, you will need to use the carboy as the bucket will not seal well enough to produce bubbles through the airlock.

Really ?

A bucket is unlikely to seal well enough for a bubbler to bubble, but that is rather irrelevant.

A bucket shouldn't really be used for winemaking beyond the initial juice extraction stage if making country wines.

Marrsy: evanvine assumed you were talking about a carboy as you mentioned a 5 gallon DJ. Carboys are usually made of glass and sit in wire or plastic cages. Glass carboys are pretty hard to come by, and can frequently lead to disaster. There are 5 gallon PET carboys available if you want to do a web search for “Better Bottle Carboys”.

The ‘5 gallon’ plastic fermenters with strong handles and a 4" screw top drilled for a standard bung and airlock actually hold 6 2/3 gallons (30 litres), and would usually just be referred to as large plastic fermenters.

For winemaking in larger volumes, my own choices would be 5 gallon PET carboys, 19 or 15 litre water cooler bottles, or large plastic fermenters, in that order. I don't think I would ever want to risk a glass carboy.

Latest posts

Back