A little advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivvo

Regular.
Reaction score
I have a better brew IPA in the fv at the moment having been brewed on 3/2/14, I brewed it short to 22l for the later addition of a hop tea in the 2nd fv I also used 500g lme and 1 kg of enhancer.
The og was 1058 and it's currently hitting 1014, I will obviously check the sg on consecutive days etc but this seems a bit high, or do the extra fermentambles account for this?

Yes. Extra fermentables. I often brew short and/or add extra so my beers rarely get below 1.012 or 1.010. 1.014 sounds about right for yours and you've left it 2 weeks which should be plenty of time (assuming a good temp of 18 or so).

Both the LME and the enhancer won't ferment out fully therefore leaving some sugars which will make a higher FG reading.

Dextrose ferments out fully so would give you higher abv without the residual sugar.

Up to you as the brewer to decide what you want.

K

1014 sounds like a reasonable final gravity for a 1058 beer to me
Like you said check it over a few days...if it's stable job done!

Thanks guys, I think I prefer this method rather than dextrose, it tastes like a proper beer already, on to secondary then :D

Back