A not-for-profit plumbing company in Burnley has earned worldwide attention

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There are some decent people still left in the world -

A not-for-profit plumbing company in Burnley has earned worldwide attention after it refused to charge an elderly customer for work on her boiler.

A receipt for the work (see below) shows a 91-year-old woman with leukaemia would not be charged "under any circumstances".

The receipt was shared on social media by the woman's daughter in the past week and has since been liked hundreds of thousands of times.

Plumber James Anderson says he hopes to expand his altruism across the UK.

"There are too many elderly and disabled people suffering in silence," he explains. "They don't like asking for help. They don't want to be a burden.

"We take away the burden, the stigma."

Speaking to the BBC, James says the company's work "stops them getting into debt" and helps them regain an independence they fear they may lose "if they think they can't afford repair costs".

James was not initially aware of his note being shared online. "I was at my grandson's christening," he says. "I got a couple of likes and cheers on Sunday," but since then the reaction has been "absolutely global".

He has been taking calls from as far away as Germany and the US, and from international broadcasters, talking about his aims to help those in need.

"It's going to give it a boost," he adds. But he's reluctant to take all the credit, calling his actions "a community effort".

"We all do what we can and we all come together as a community. We need to be a human race, to look out for each other."

Read in full - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49729211

EEhN9qnXoAAJ90C

Good on him as an individual, however not sure it is really the solution to a problem is it? One bloke running up debts himself. Its surely another example of food bank type work becoming too mainstream, supporting people who shouldn't really need the support in the first place?

5 years ago I am not sure I knew of any food banks, now I see collections in every supermarket and even collections for animal food...

I wish him all the best just hope he doesn't get into a situation where someone has to be helping him out...

Excellent, but must agree with @Dexter101 on this one.

The guy is an absolute legend by default, whats more is that he's achieved nationwide recognition for the aforementioned. Clever ploy?

It should be government controlled relief and allowances for such things with the elderly. i.e. complementary boiler care/cover, reduced energy tariffs and any other financial relief where applicable.

With a Tory government, highly unlikely...

Good on him though, top guy.

He's basically just created a viral marketing campaign most brands pay hundreds of thousands for. I think (and hope) he'll do alright.

I agree i think he will be alright as he says he does regular work and the debt is manageable -

Despite running up debts for such a selfless ethos, James says he will keep doing it until "the day God calls me".

He now owes "just under £8,000" but the situation is "under control," because of his arrangements with both his bank and his supplier.

The company also has a crowdfunding page, and performs regular plumbing jobs: "Any money we make goes back into the Depher account".

James says he had to lay off two workers because of a lack of funds.

He wants to expand the philanthropic work beyond Burnley, and the attention brought by the receipt could help.

"I've got other plumbers... offering help. My hope is to get Depher national, in every city and town."

Its not clear exactly how this works but it would be good if it could lead to a nationwide collective of trades people all offering a few jobs a week or month to those in need. Personally I think help from people who care is a much better option that the government getting involved.

Latest posts

Back