a question for you....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal

Reaction score
Evening all, I've had a really fast ferment on a Coopers wheat beer kit with my now standard wb-06 yeast that I like to use with wheats, it's been at 1.004 for a couple of days now so this morning I thought I'd have a go at bottling this evening straight from fv1 bypassing the secondary (which is my normal method), so I mixed up my priming sugar and added it to the beer and let it settle for the day, just got all my kit ready to bottle it up and I pulled of the customary glassful for a wee taste and it's cloudy as hell, looks like orange juice! would leaving it in the cold until tomorrow evening help to clear it at all, or should I carry on with bottling and expect a load of sediment in this batch ?

WB-06 is not at all flocculent as it is a wheat beer yeast. I use it myself and it is meant to be cloudy, just like you'll find in all your favourite Hefeweizens. Get bottling and enjoy! :)

I shall get on it then Brew ! I only asked as it's cloudier than normal, I have used this kit as a base quite a few times now and haven't bottled straight from the primary before, guess that few days in the secondary does make a difference !

As above, WB06 is low floccing so won't come up crystal clear without some filtering. Wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy anyways so not an issue.

Is there any reason you added priming sugar then left it for the day instead of bottling straight away? There's a good chance you've kicked off another burst of fermentation by leaving it for the day and roused the yeast again by doing so - thus making it extra cloudy. Normal practice is to bottle once the priming solution is mixed in with the beer rather than leave it a day before bottling, otherwise your beer will also end up flatter than expected as the 'conditioning fermentation' has already started and released CO2 that you want to carb your beer with.

That sounds logical Sponge, I don't know why I primed it in the morning, guess I thought it would give it time to blend together as I added it so gently, I usually transfer the beer to a bottling bucket so haven't tried this method before, I know for next time !
on the plus side swmbo may not like the sediment so I'll have it all for myself :D

It's usual to swirl the last bit of a wheat beer to get the yeast sediment into the beer as it carries a lot of the typical hefeweizen flavours you look for. Embrace the cloudiness!

I can't really think of any other beer styles where that's the done thing rather than being down to personal preference.

Back