A TRAD STYLE (DURDEN PARK) BURTON IPA (WITH A TWIST)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclepumble

Landlord.
Reaction score
On Sunday I embarked on a very long Brew day.

A Traditional Burton Style Pale Ale (IPA) pulled from the Durden Park Book.
A very easy recipe
150ltr Brewlength

33kg Pale Malt
1.2kg Goldings Boiled for 90mins

3hr Mash @ 66deg
A very slow Sparge 1.5hrs
3hr Boil (gentle simmer)
+ Plenty of Burton Yeast

The Photos (Not many I am afraid but the twist may be of interest)
Sparging a very full mash tun.
50c0f1ba.jpg

Filling a little Kettle :D :ugeek:
03503a2d.jpg

Escaping fob from areating the wort
88b21aa9.jpg

22248721.jpg

9b09e7de.jpg

An active pitch of yeasties :D
64315098.jpg

Shedloads of hops in the kettle bottom (I sparged them)
b18e11ab.jpg

Ended up with 150ish ltrs at 1064OG

Now for the twist,
I have for a while been meaning to try recirculating the fermenting wort, if the yeast can be kept in constant suspension, you can speed up the fermentation, avoid off flavours etc etc etc, therefore I rigged this up.

Scotsman type pump & some of Vossy's Hose
d402d69a.jpg

I'm not disclosing whats on the end of the pipe in the fermenter, but its working well & the Yeasties seem to be enjoying their Jacuzzi,

8f88eb0d.jpg

67fa5548.jpg

Its fermenting like the clappers & I have had to clean off the outside of the fermenter 4 times already with 50ltrs headspace in the Conical :shock: :?

Plans are to Cask age bottle and store this for a while, to be shared with a select few :)

UP

Me likes the look of this! A proper IPA!

I have for a while been meaning to try recirculating the fermenting wort, if the yeast can be kept in constant suspension, you can speed up the fermentation, avoid off flavours etc etc etc, therefore I rigged this up.
Does this mean everyone will have to upgrade their brewery's? Just as I was catching up!

Nice to see your big set up in full swing :thumb:

So when are we going to see this system of recirculation? Is it like a Yorkshire Square since you are pumping from the bottom? or since it is a Burton IPA is it a Union system, failing that I'm talking b*llocks. :wha: :wha:

Big breweries have been known to do it. I know Ringwood do / did, plus as Gray says it's a sort of Yorkshire square.

I've often thought about trying it, because in our small fermenters most of the active yeast is stuck in the sludgy layer at the bottom of the FV, in taller commercial breweries the height is greater so they have more active yeast in suspension. si this is a method of emulating that on our smaller scale.

There was an experiment done on the HBD 10-15 years ago, but the results were not favourable, compared to a 'traditional' approach, but given the small number of results I'm not sure how relevant that is. (Plus it is the US, with US ingredients etc which may well have an impact on the results anyway).

Well done to Shane for trying it out, I'd be interested to hear the results.

Aleman said:
Big breweries have been known to do it. I know Ringwood do / did, plus as Gray says it's a sort of Yorkshire square.

The Bigger breweries are doing it in 1200BBL conical's, & shaving 18-20hours off fermentation times
Alfa Laval are selling This to the big brewers hence why I am trying my method.

Well done to Shane for trying it out, I'd be interested to hear the results.

I pretty much have an idea what the result will be, which is why I have done it, & you would be about the only other person on here that could fully copy my set up exactly :whistle:

Applause! How long do you plan on aging this one?

:hmm: :hmm: we shall have to see :D

UP

Latest posts

Back