ABV School Boy Error

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciderman62

Reaction score
I Have 5 batches of cider at various stages of fermentation I made a real newby/schoolboy error on my first two batches by not taking SG readings prior to starting fermenting.

Each batch I have made has a different apple combination therefore not as simple as just averaging out the SG from those I remembered to sample.

As these were the first batches fermentation has all but stopped the latest SG reading was 1.004 and there are no longer bubbles in the airlock although there are still some tiny pin head bubbles visible on the surface.

I will be taking further readings over next few days & once I have three consecutive readings of the same value I will move on to bottling

Given I do not have the starting ABV or sugar content (g/l) is there any way I can calculate / check the finished ABV

Not without a lab.
Do you know the mass of apples that went in?

I'd just assume an average sg, possibly around 1.048 and go with that. It's not really critical to know the ABV anyway, and ABV calculated using OG/FG is notoriously approximate.

Making cider when you're a "schoolboy" (by your own admission)! That's very bad. Now go stand in that corner until home time.

Back