Adding Brett at Bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philt

Reaction score
Anyone here had any experience with adding a few drops of brett at bottling?

Anyone had any bottle bombs from adding brett at too high a FG?

A positive reply to that would be interesting.

"Brett" was very much a (wooden) cask bulk "infection", but these days of lab prepared yeasts, you should be able to "infect" at will. But "Brett" will still take a long time (many weeks, or more likely months) and perhaps bottle bombs are a risk?

(EDIT: Funny, this post appeared alongside "Mouse droppings in fermentation bucket " when I opened "New Posts". Perhaps that would work? :D).

Last edited:
Sounds like a recipe for bottle bombs to me your not going to know how much sugars are left over that your Sach couldn't eat that the brett definitely will.

From reading Wild Brews and listening to the Sour Hour podcast I believe that Brett won't superattenuate without lactic acid bacteria around but it will attenuate more than sacch. So you need to start with a really dry beer like a saison and bottle in strong bottles, even then I'd be a bit nervous.

From reading Wild Brews and listening to the Sour Hour podcast I believe that Brett won't superattenuate without lactic acid bacteria around but it will attenuate more than sacch. So you need to start with a really dry beer like a saison and bottle in strong bottles, even then I'd be a bit nervous.

Yes I'd be starting with a dry beer, either a Saison or a Brut IPA and bottling in champagne bottles, I'd cork them and condition them on their side for a while. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience. I was reading Mike Tonsmeire's blog and he did a batch where he bottled a beer and spiked it with brett, FG on that was 1.011, which seems quite high to me. I believe Stone also did this with their 'Enjoy After' series of IPAs.

On the other hand I wonder how much influence the brett will have on flavour if there's not a lot of residual sugars for it to have a go at.

(ps haven't got round to brewing with that kveik you sent me yet, still waiting on some spruce or juniper).

A positive reply to that would be interesting.

"Brett" was very much a (wooden) cask bulk "infection", but these days of lab prepared yeasts, you should be able to "infect" at will. But "Brett" will still take a long time (many weeks, or more likely months) and perhaps bottle bombs are a risk?

(EDIT: Funny, this post appeared alongside "Mouse droppings in fermentation bucket " when I opened "New Posts". Perhaps that would work? :D).

Haha I'll pass on the mouse droppings idea.

I'm happy to let the bottles sit and condition for a long period of time to develop some brett character. I suppose the best way to find out is to test it on a few bottles.

Sounds like a recipe for bottle bombs to me your not going to know how much sugars are left over that your Sach couldn't eat that the brett definitely will.

I'd be trying it on something with a low FG to err on the side of caution. I know folks have done it successfully, I'm just struggling to find the processes and recipes that were used, aside from Mike Tonsmeire's.

Yes I'd be starting with a dry beer, either a Saison or a Brut IPA and bottling in champagne bottles, I'd cork them and condition them on their side for a while. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience. I was reading Mike Tonsmeire's blog and he did a batch where he bottled a beer and spiked it with brett, FG on that was 1.011, which seems quite high to me. I believe Stone also did this with their 'Enjoy After' series of IPAs.

On the other hand I wonder how much influence the brett will have on flavour if there's not a lot of residual sugars for it to have a go at.

(ps haven't got round to brewing with that kveik you sent me yet, still waiting on some spruce or juniper).
Apparently, according to Mike T, brett can give character even if it's not dropping the gravity much, but like in Orval I guess. Sounds like you have a good plan going, champagne bottles can handle tremendous pressure so are as safe as you'd get.

You should just use the kveik without the wood, it works nicely in a lot of styles and turns around quickly.

Apparently, according to Mike T, brett can give character even if it's not dropping the gravity much, but like in Orval I guess. Sounds like you have a good plan going, champagne bottles can handle tremendous pressure so are as safe as you'd get.

You should just use the kveik without the wood, it works nicely in a lot of styles and turns around quickly.

Yes Orval is the main inspiration for wanting to do this. I also don't want to keep adding brett to my fermenters in case I end up infecting everything, I just know one day I'll have a lapse in concentration and forget which fermenter I've set aside for brett only.

I have been using the Yeast Bay's Voss strain in IPAs and such so far, I actually just used it in a brut ipa which worked wonderfully (and I feel would be great with a fruity brett strain added at bottling). I've been saving the real deal strain you sent for a proper traditional Vossaol ale for Xmas but may try it in a scotch ale this weekend if I can't get the juniper in time.

Ah right, so you know what to expect, hope the strain I sent doesn't disappoint.

Yes, I thought it would be good to do a side by side with the commercial isolated strain and the real legit strain. I haven't managed to coax any of that much talked about 'orange' out of the commercial strain despite severe underpitching and 37C fermentation temps though.

Back