Adding more fruit after primary fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenPowell

Reaction score
Hi.
I have just finished the primary fermentation of strawberry wine. I have racked off the pulp now. It doesn’t taste very strawberry like. I have read you can add some extra fruit now it’s in second fermentation. Is this correct?Will it have any adverse affects?
many thanks all.

I often add flavorings after primary fermentation.
The reason i do this is a vigorous primary will blow off delicate esters responsible for a fine flavour and nose.

As regards adding fruit yes you can add extra,But be aware you will likely trigger another fermentation.
So let that run its course before bottling.

Thanks very much. Appreciated. I am a bit of a random experimenter so I added some fermenting Pinot from a kit I am brewing and topped up with pure OJ. Will leave it for a week, rack off any pulpy bits and leave for a month and see. Will let you know and thanks again.

I top up with strong fruit tea sometimes after racking to add flavour. I think twinnings do a strawberry and raspberry flavour which I spect would be good

I find with strawberry if it's fermented to dry the flavour diminishes, if you back sweeten a little it starts to return.

Thank you all. Love the fruit tea idea!! I have topped up now and just waiting. Tastes amazing already!! Looking forward to my next one!!

Latest posts

Back