Adding squash to TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eorling

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm about to put another gallon of TC on today, the first was a great success. I was thinking of adding some raspberry squash to it to make it summery and girlfriend friendly ;). Should I add it to the initial mix? Or mix it in as part of the bottling process?

Cheers,

Will.

Squash tends to have preservitaves in it that would prevent the yeast doing their thing so I would add it at the end if you want still cider, if you want sparkling then you can boil the squash for 15 minutes to boil the preservitaves off and add at the end to preserve the raspberry flavour.

You could always make it with tinned raspberrys, mine should be ready to drink about now, thanks for reminding me

I did buy one can of tinned berrys, I will mash them and strain them and put them in the initial brew. If the raspberry flavour needs more oomph at the end I ill do as you suggested :).

Will.

I may have found this too late if you've already mixed things up, but if you add a flavouring ingredient later in a fermentation, more of that flavour will remain at the end.

If you add a cordial or syrup when things are working well but the gravity's down to the 1.000 - 1.010 range, any preservatives shouldn't have much effect.

I'm just sterilising my equipment now before I start :). I need to buy a hydrometer, it's clear that they are absolutely essential. Cheers for the advice :).

Eorling said:
I need to buy a hydrometer, it's clear that they are absolutely essential.
Best three quid you can spend if you're serious about giving any homebrewing a try.

Latest posts

Back