Ade's Brauheld Pro Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FG sample taken of the Orange infused cascade pale ale today (Squirrel Brows), basically I took the collection bottle off. lol

FG of 1.012. As to the flavour, pretty good my wife and I both agreed. Zesty orange flavours are very much there, with a good level of bitterness, with hints of earthy/floral spicyness in the back. Not a sweet orange flavour by any means, very much an orange zest/oils flavour, almost sour without been acetic (possibly from the orange juice I added).

Definitely doesn't need anything doing to it. Still a little hazy though, that Lallemande voss is refusing to leave it clear. Have to see if it clears in the bottle.

Brewed a fake hybrid between a Munich Helles and a festbier yesterday, currently fermenting with Omega labs Lutra kveik. I don't have the energy for a full write up this time (been suffering with migraine, so kinda on pain killers right now), but here's some photos.

IMG_20200918_141643.jpg

IMG_20200918_141511.jpg
Grindy grindy

IMG_20200918_142639.jpg
IMG_20200918_163307.jpg
Full on boiling...

IMG_20200918_175539.jpgIMG_20200918_181159.jpg
Just chillin'

IMG_20200918_194354.jpg
5 litres of garbage I didn't want in the FV...

IMG_20200918_181541.jpg
The filter actually had to do something this time around...

IMG_20200918_202516.jpg
That wort though....

IMG_20200919_152808.jpg
The Lutra hard at work, partying hard.... Messing up my FV.....

Anyway, if anybody wants the exact recipe just ask, but basically pilsner malt, munich malt, vienna malt with perle hops for bittering and hallertauer mittelfruh 5 minutes before flame out for flavour and aroma. Hochkurz mash with 30 minutes for the first 2 steps (should have maybe gone for 40). 75 minute boil. First time I've use Bohemian pislner malt (used Belgian in the past), I was rather taken aback with the amount of protein I got off it..... Could be the Hochkurz I guess that caused that, I don't know...

Just poured the first 2 bottles of the orange infused pale ale (for my wife, I'm not drinking as recovering from a nasty cluster migraine). It was fermented with Voss after all... lol

IMG_20200920_144741.jpg

Still a little haze there, I believe from the yeast as the wort was crystal clear into the FV. Flavour, well I did have a couple of sips. You can tell it was brewed with Maris Otter for sure, that malty backbone you get with MO is front and center. Honestly, not a huge fan of it still, but I can see that it's a case of personal taste. Low bitterness, gentle on the hops with hints of orange and undefined citrus, floral and still hints of earthy (hard to tell with the MO so prominent though).

Very summery, and it's not that I dislike it, I like it it's nice. I just think it could be even nicer with a different base malt. It's still young though, even for something brewed with kveik. So who knows what a bit of conditioning will do to it?

That's an idea, as it's way too strong. Been using Minch Hookhead pale for a long time now, and grew to much prefer the flavour with it, but now I've used MO again, I can actually appreciate how bland a malt it actually is, and how I've been adding my malt flavour with things like Munich (love the stuff).... That said, it's excellent for hop forward beers though, where you don't want loads of malt flavours.

The colour is deliberate by the way, created by cold steeping black malt, for colour without flavour. lol

Ok, we just split a bottle of the Squirrel Brows orange infused pale ale again (my wife and I), and I have to reconsider my opinion on the MO malt. A bit more conditioning, and the flavour has blended in really nicely, all of the flavour have. It has a predominantly delicious orangey flavour (bingo....) with all of the other flavours (including the bitterness) blending together. It's absolutely delicious!

It's going on our to be brewed again list, and I'll put the recipe in the brewed recipes section for others to try.

Latest posts

Back