Ade's Spider Pics Thread (warning! spiders!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdeDunn

Reaction score
If you're scared of even pics of spiders, stop here and leave the thread. lol

IMG_20170424_000455_DRO.jpg

IMG_20170531_195310.jpg

IMG_20161024_222313.jpg

IMG_20160610_191946.jpg

IMG_20160410_192231.jpg

IMG_20160410_192119.jpg

IMG_20150823_111204.jpg

I don't mind the big 'uns like these, or the tiny little 'uns. It's the medium sized house spiders that bother me. I know it's completely ridiculous, before I get called a wuss. I'm not normally bad with this kind of thing - I kept snakes as a kid - but I just don't like them!

I don't mind the big 'uns like these, or the tiny little 'uns. It's the medium sized house spiders that bother me. I know it's completely ridiculous, before I get called a wuss. I'm not normally bad with this kind of thing - I kept snakes as a kid - but I just don't like them!

Not 10 minutes ago I captured the biggest house spider I've ever seen. It was in the bathroom last night, on the ceiling. My 15 year-old son was hyper-ventilating with fear that it would 'get him' during the night. It disappeared, only to reappear earlier on the landing. I put it outside but not before showing it to the kid, who was still fearful of it in the plastic container. Never knew he had that phobia until now.

Great pics Ade. My mate's got a couple of tarantulas. Feeds em on live crickets and apparently they shed their skin every now and again. Wouldn't mind some myself but the kid's reaction says it's not a good idea.

My wife doesn't like spider Gunge either, but is quite happy with these as they're so different to normal house spiders. She'll even help me to feed them. She isn't even upset by the ladybird spiders, and they are true spiders rather than tarantulas. Even they're bigger than our biggest house spiders though.

I wont mock a strangers fear ever (only mates and my own family.... :twisted:). For the record I absolutely despise giant centipedes and tailless whip scorpions... The centipedes it's sensible as they're super aggressive with a nasty bite, but the whip scorps are completely harmless. I'd say others dislike them too though, as they're what they modelled the arachnids on in Starship Troopers....:-? You can imagine my face the time I was at a show and one of the sellers fetched out a lump of bark covered in them right by me..... :lol: Our oldest daughter is terrified of spiders though, she freaks out if one moves even when she's in the kitchen. If you are ever able to overcome your fear though they are AMAZING creatures. When they moult for example their exoskeleton is completely soft, their legs aren't completely filled with fluid whilst they moult and this allows them to bend completely the wrong way so they can pull themselves out of their old skin. Once they're done, they then refill themselves with fluids and over time harden once again. I've attached a photo of one of my moulting.

IMG_20140620_173051.jpg

Years ago my sister in law who has a really bad fear of any spiders came round my house and I had earlier found a large dead one in the house so I had it in my closed hand and said to her look what I have here opening my hand and revealing it to her,what followed was her having complete hysterics bursting into tears and running out of the house to her car before driving off like sterling moss

When they moult for example their exoskeleton is completely soft, their legs aren't completely filled with fluid whilst they moult and this allows them to bend completely the wrong way so they can pull themselves out of their old skin.

I had to google that, brilliant.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExEhrpi8iz4[/ame]

you got to watch this
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CONWvddogc[/ame]

I reckon I can do something about names for you.

Female Greek ladybird spider

attachment.php

Male Greek ladybird spider

attachment.php

Grammostola species "North"

attachment.php

Blue phase Aphonopelma seemanni

attachment.php

Brachypelma smithi (Mexican red knee)

attachment.php

Brachypelma emilia (Mexican red leg)

attachment.php

Aphonopelma chalcodes

attachment.php

Grammostola porteri (Chilli rose, sort of)

893301_775838035760316_1076869257_o.jpg

Grammostola rosea (the literal Chilli rose... lol)

1781193_778185462192240_6064012694620459737_o.jpg

Give me a sec and I'll list what we keep.

Right, we have:-

2 ladybird spiders (the only true spiders we own)

2 Brachypelma vagans (Mexican red rump tarantula)
1 Brachypelma albopilosum (Honduran curly hair, or just curly hair, or sometimes even curly whirly... lol)
1 Brachypelma smithi (good old Mexican red knee)
1 Brachypelma emilia (Mexican red leg)
1 Brachypelma boehmei (Mexican fire leg, or flickypelma as they're often called as they are swines for flicking hair at the slightest excuse...)
1 Brachypelma albiceps (Mexican golden red rump)
1 Greenbottle blue tarantula (the proper name is massive and hard to spell... lol)
1 Doppleganger tarantula (the proper name changes so fast I can't keep up)
1 Aphonopelma bicoloratum (Mexican blood leg)
1 blue phase Aphonopelma seemanni (zebra tarantula)
1 bad tempered Aphonopelma chalcodes
1 Grammostola pulchra (Brazillian black, which describes her perfectly. lol)
1 Grammostola porteri (1 form of Chili rose)
1 Grammostola rosea (red color form Chili rose)
1 Grammostola species "north" (guess what... Yup, another Chili rose, this one known as the Chili northern gold)

I used to have more, but had a few moult mature as males, and males don't live at all long once mature (they're designed to mature younger than females so that they can't mate with their female siblings, their purpose in live been basically to mate with a female... lol). It was annoying, as I'd bought them as sub adult females...:doh: Known males are worth a lot less than females though as females can live 15 or more years easily. I also had 2 baboon types once, but I couldn't cope with them so gave them away. They lived in burrows most of the time, but moved incredibly fast, as in you blink and they're on you... Baboons (tarantulas that is) have nasty venom too that can make you feel really unwell, so I gave them to a friend. All the tarantulas I have are of no risk to humans, so long as you're not allergic, beyond a painful bite (big spiders = big fangs = ouch. lol) often compared to a bee sting. I don't give them opportunity to bite me though, and I'm sure you have seen the damage a cat, dog or even hamster bite can do....:lol:

Oh and I know that sounds a lot, however they don't take up much space (apart from my Pulchra, who is really large and lives in a massive really useful box... lol), require no heating or lighting and are fairly cheap to feed. :thumb:

I had more photos, but I can't seem to find them. They're perfect pets though for anybody who has very little time to look after pets, so long as they don't want something they can fetch out (they can't be tamed like fluffies, so can find been handled stressful) and handle. You can pick up a curly hair or a vagans baby for about £2 usually, so can be cheap too (they can also be rather expensive).

Right, we have:-

2 ladybird spiders (the only true spiders we own)

2 Brachypelma vagans (Mexican red rump tarantula)
1 Brachypelma albopilosum (Honduran curly hair, or just curly hair, or sometimes even curly whirly... lol)
1 Brachypelma smithi (good old Mexican red knee)
1 Brachypelma emilia (Mexican red leg)
1 Brachypelma boehmei (Mexican fire leg, or flickypelma as they're often called as they are swines for flicking hair at the slightest excuse...)
1 Brachypelma albiceps (Mexican golden red rump)
1 Greenbottle blue tarantula (the proper name is massive and hard to spell... lol)
1 Doppleganger tarantula (the proper name changes so fast I can't keep up)
1 Aphonopelma bicoloratum (Mexican blood leg)
1 blue phase Aphonopelma seemanni (zebra tarantula)
1 bad tempered Aphonopelma chalcodes
1 Grammostola pulchra (Brazillian black, which describes her perfectly. lol)
1 Grammostola porteri (1 form of Chili rose)
1 Grammostola rosea (red color form Chili rose)
1 Grammostola species "north" (guess what... Yup, another Chili rose, this one known as the Chili northern gold)

I used to have more, but had a few moult mature as males, and males don't live at all long once mature (they're designed to mature younger than females so that they can't mate with their female siblings, their purpose in live been basically to mate with a female... lol). It was annoying, as I'd bought them as sub adult females...:doh: Known males are worth a lot less than females though as females can live 15 or more years easily. I also had 2 baboon types once, but I couldn't cope with them so gave them away. They lived in burrows most of the time, but moved incredibly fast, as in you blink and they're on you... Baboons (tarantulas that is) have nasty venom too that can make you feel really unwell, so I gave them to a friend. All the tarantulas I have are of no risk to humans, so long as you're not allergic, beyond a painful bite (big spiders = big fangs = ouch. lol) often compared to a bee sting. I don't give them opportunity to bite me though, and I'm sure you have seen the damage a cat, dog or even hamster bite can do....:lol:

Oh and I know that sounds a lot, however they don't take up much space (apart from my Pulchra, who is really large and lives in a massive really useful box... lol), require no heating or lighting and are fairly cheap to feed. :thumb:

I had more photos, but I can't seem to find them. They're perfect pets though for anybody who has very little time to look after pets, so long as they don't want something they can fetch out (they can't be tamed like fluffies, so can find been handled stressful) and handle. You can pick up a curly hair or a vagans baby for about �£2 usually, so can be cheap too (they can also be rather expensive).

many thanks for that I only had the three
so to see your collection was grate
now I given up home brewing due to ill health I looking at getting some
or some dart frogs

I used to keep dart frogs. The one caution I will give there is they became very expensive to keep.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I should probably say, if you really do want to keep dart frogs, I am selling a load of pre-drilled (misting nozzles and drain sets) euro style vivs specifically designed for poison dart frogs that I am selling dirt cheap to clear the space for brewing... Can't courier though as they're all glass.... :lol:

Probably cheaper to use a bookcase. 😉.

Wow. Thanks for sharing these great photos. Any chance you could post the species names? I always picked up spiders until i came across the biggest house spider i have ever seen and it bit me. Was like being nipped really hard with a pair of plyers.

Already did bud, post #11.👍. Glad you liked them, I'll post more at some point.

The best spider is the one curled up after my missus has whacked it with a newspaper or some other suitable whacking implement:thumb:

Back