Advice please - is my lager no good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstout

Landlord.
Reaction score
Went to keg my first batch of Coopers European today, and things don't seem right in my 3 weeks gone FV :sick:

Little square bits of yeast(?) floating all over the top, and nowhere like as clear as other lagers I have done. Smells ok mind, if a little fruity :wha: :wha:

I took pics of the top when opened and when I'd finished filling my keg I took a shot of inside the FV but apparently I can't upload the pics - I can't be bothered with an external account, thought I'd be able to attach them but can't :cry:

Would be better if you could see pics, but wondered if anyone could shed any light on whether it'll be ok or not?

:pray: :pray:

:cheers:

RobWalker said:
do you use a lagering process? you know this kit require a low temperature ferment and a lagering phase? :p

That'll be it then Rob, been fermenting in 22'C living room :oops: :oops:

Done four other kits the same way mind, Geordie, Mexican Cerveza x2 and Pilsner - all were fine :wha:

What exactly is the lagering process :wha: :oops:

Tastes ok though....

And has leaked all over the carpet out of the King Keg :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

oldstout said:
RobWalker said:
do you use a lagering process? you know this kit require a low temperature ferment and a lagering phase? :p

Done four other kits the same way mind, Geordie, Mexican Cerveza x2 and Pilsner - all were fine :wha:

Tastes ok though....

And has leaked all over the carpet out of the King Keg :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The lagering process is chilling the beer at 1*C for 1-3 months and that will give a verrrrryyyyy clean tasting beer i would say brew a steam beer lager with ale yeast.

Devonhomebrew said:
oldstout said:
RobWalker said:

Tastes ok though....

The lagering process is chilling the beer at 1*C for 1-3 months and that will give a verrrrryyyyy clean tasting beer i would say brew a steam beer lager with ale yeast.

So would that include the secondary conditioning? ie I put it into the cold now I have kegged it with my sugar solution? Or do I leave in the warm for two weeks conditioning, and then put in the cold? :wha:

Yup, hahah. It comes with an actual lager yeast which are designed to work at lower temperatures. What you are describing sounds like fruity esters, but that might not be the worst thing in the world anyway, just a bit more ale-ey. The other kits you've listed are lager style ales, they use an ale yeast which performs better at room-ish temps.

Truth be told though unless you're a BJCP judge or something, ageing it in the cool for a month or two will probably round if off enough to make a good beer. I doubt it tastes bad now, if people can enjoy beer made with bread yeast then there's not gonna be much wrong with one made with an actual beer yeast.

Not sure if you lager it first, but I make a lot of lagery ales this time of year because I have a conservatory - any sort of outdoorish room (shed, garage etc) will hit close to 0c this time of year and protect it from frost etc, and without getting into the intricacies of temperature controlled brewing, it gets it pretty clean.

RobWalker said:
Yup, hahah. It comes with an actual lager yeast which are designed to work at lower temperatures. What you are describing sounds like fruity esters, but that might not be the worst thing in the world anyway, just a bit more ale-ey. The other kits you've listed are lager style ales, they use an ale yeast which performs better at room-ish temps.

Truth be told though unless you're a BJCP judge or something, ageing it in the cool for a month or two will probably round if off enough to make a good beer. I doubt it tastes bad now, if people can enjoy beer made with bread yeast then there's not gonna be much wrong with one made with an actual beer yeast.

Not sure if you lager it first, but I make a lot of lagery ales this time of year because I have a conservatory - any sort of outdoorish room (shed, garage etc) will hit close to 0c this time of year and protect it from frost etc, and without getting into the intricacies of temperature controlled brewing, it gets it pretty clean.

Cheers for that Rob :clap:

I kept it in the warm to aid secondary fermentation and today transferred it to my shed where it will sit for a good few weeks. Drew some off with a whoosh - so it's carbonated ok :party: but it looks like wheat beer :wha: :lol:
You reckon it'll clear given time? Tastes a bit wierd too :sick: Not sure about this one but I'll give it some time :(

Back